5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prepping for IE 10, plus a master PW chart

PATCH WATCH

Prepping for IE 10, plus a master PW chart

By Susan Bradley

Some early adopters of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 are running into problems with the new browser including BSoDs. Still, most Win7 systems will eventually have IE 10 on board; users need to make sure their systems are ready for it.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/prepping-for-ie-10-plus-a-master-pw-chart/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Patch Release Date

I really wish you would include the missing "year" in the release date of the patches. For those of us that have been keeping our own updated master chart it is cumbersome and time consuming to inspect each date and decide if it is 2012 or 2013 and then add that info to the date.

My spreadsheet of course has additional columns such as "Date Added", derived from date of newsletter, and conditional formatting to alert me of duplicates so that I am able to keep the most recent "Status" of each patch.

Just a thought,

small potatoes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to small potatoes For This Useful Post:

Mlerner (2013-03-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been wanting this more-comprehensive list for a long time, so many thanks for putting it together.

I particularily like the breakout of safe/wait/skip and especially the numerical order--it really, really makes the information a lot easier to find. I used to copy the list into a worksheet, then manually sort the list. A lot of extra work, indeed.

I hope that you can continue to update this with new Patch Watch recommendations. Many thanks again.

Regards,
    Starr

5. The Following User Says Thank You to starr For This Useful Post:

Mlerner (2013-03-10)

Thanks
    Regarding IE 10 on Windows 7:

I wish Microsoft would deploy a IE10 Upgrade Adviser if they really want to make hardware or driver level changes to accommodate IE 10's new features. A System Readiness Tool could avoid the issues and complaints which are happening in this upgrade so far.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Regarding IE 10 on Windows 7:

I wish Microsoft would deploy a IE10 Upgrade Adviser if they really want to make hardware or driver level changes to accommodate IE 10's new features. A System Readiness Tool could avoid the issues and complaints which are happening in this upgrade so far.
    That is what A platform update is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is supposed to be. It has proven to be problematic for some machines with hybrid graphics cards. Microsoft is working on it.

Joe

Thanks
    A work in progress, yes, and therefore not in my immediate future for my own laptop. Maybe later.

That's the Platform Update which is making many laptop owners pull out their hair with its unwanted side-effects.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down I am opposed to your removal of patch watch from the newsletter

I am a paid subscriber, and I normally am able to read paid newsletter content, including the Patch Watch Chart, in the newsletter without having to take any action beyond opening the newsletter email. I do not agree with removing Patch Watch and putting in on the web in a place where I have to go and sign in.
    But I guess you didn't want my opinion or you would have asked for it.
    GSteve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get what he's saying - something that will scan the system and say "hey you need a new video card driver" instead of guessing that we do like we have to now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I understand it only this master list will be like that. The normal bimonthly heads up will be in the newsletter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    As I understand it only this master list will be like that. The normal bimonthly heads up will be in the newsletter.
    Most people don't know how often the normal list can be expected because it's not regularly specified in the newsletter.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wink Good job, now please add the year to the date

Thank you Susan and Windows Secrets, I am very pleased with the new, comprehensive chart. It will save me a lot of work, and perhaps going forward I will stop maintaining my own Excel list.

I support user Small Potatoes' request that the year should be added to the date. I further suggest that the date should be written in this format "yyyy-mm-dd", so that there will be no confusion regarding which number is the month and which is the day (confusion which may result from the difference in how Americans and Europeans write dates), and so it will sort nicely if someone wants to copy & sort it in Excel.

Keep up the good work!

-Michael

P.S. And since I'm already here....I wanted to say 2 more things to Susan. One, as you wrote in the article, it's true, we don't alway patch immediately. I personally wait 3 months after an update is released to see if there are any late effects. So I'm glad the new chart will go back 6 months. Second, you have implied several times that your audience is only home users or small business users, and therefore server-related patches are not so much of interest to your readers. Well, you should be aware that I'm sure there are other system admins like me who manage hundreds of computers as well as severs, and read WS and especially your column in order to get important info. Of course, I also keep up using many other sources, but I appreciate WS insights and your point of view. So just keep us in mind too.

And thanks again for your wonderful columns.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    I get what he's saying - something that will scan the system and say "hey you need a new video card driver" instead of guessing that we do like we have to now.
    Yeah, something like that.
    -- Bob Primak --