2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page X of Y Issues

We are having a problem where Page X of Y. When we open the file it says Page 1 of 3, 2 of 3, then it goes to page 3 of 12 (which is correct). If we scroll back up, the first 2 pages are now correct (Page 1 of 12 and Page 2 of 12). I tried recreating in a new Word document with nothing but the page numbers in a header, and the same thing happens. It doesn't matter if I use the drop down lists to chose the X of Y style, or if I enter field codes, the same thing happens.

Does anyone have a clue what this is about? Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not that this helps, but IME "x of y" hasn't worked consistently for about the last 5 versions of Word.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The field codes just need to be updated. You can do it by switching from print layout view to draft view and back.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beej View Post
    Not that this helps, but IME "x of y" hasn't worked consistently for about the last 5 versions of Word.
    That suggests you have little practical experience with those versions. There haven't been any 'Page X of Y' consistency 'issues' with Word 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 or 2013 (that's 7 versions). Usually, the real problem is that people don't know how to use Word properly to set up 'Page X of Y' numbering for anything other than a whole document. Caniac's problem, however, is quite possibly a display/printer driver issue that has nothing to do with whether Word is working properly.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    That suggests you have little practical experience with those versions. There haven't been any 'Page X of Y' consistency 'issues' with Word 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011 or 2013 (that's 7 versions). Usually, the real problem is that people don't know how to use Word properly to set up 'Page X of Y' numbering for anything other than a whole document. Caniac's problem, however, is quite possibly a display/printer driver issue that has nothing to do with whether Word is working properly.
    Assuming it is a display/printer driver issue, how would that explain older files that have x of y numbering that, when I open on the same computer, look correct on the screen?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caniac View Post
    Assuming it is a display/printer driver issue, how would that explain older files that have x of y numbering that, when I open on the same computer, look correct on the screen?
    Surely that just confirms what I said. It's nothing to do with whether the file is new or old, but whether you're using an old version of Word that occasioanlly did have the problem. A problem, I might add, that in most cases was fixed by installing the appropriate updates.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Surely that just confirms what I said. It's nothing to do with whether the file is new or old, but whether you're using an old version of Word that occasioanlly did have the problem. A problem, I might add, that in most cases was fixed by installing the appropriate updates.
    The older files, which were okay, were done in Word 2003. The problem files are being done in Word 2010. We are working off a network, with all updates installed (both for 2003 and 2010). If it's a printer driver issue, wouldn't that be based on what drivers are installed on the computer and nothing to do with wich version we're using? If it makes a difference, we are using the same printers for both versions.

Thanks
    but does it print correctly? - what you see is not always what you get
    if you're scrolling and looking at it then it's probably just a graphical display problem.
    try F5 refresh to see if it changes

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caniac View Post
    If it's a printer driver issue, wouldn't that be based on what drivers are installed on the computer and nothing to do with wich version we're using? If it makes a difference, we are using the same printers for both versions.
    No, because many drivers that work adequately with one version of Office have often been found to be inadequate when the demands of later versions are placed on them. Usually that's because the people who coded those drivers took coding shortcuts that didn't comply with the full Windows driver specs.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had some intermittent (hence, hard to reproduce) "Page X of Y" issues in Word 2000, but I haven't seen any with any more recent version of Word. Even in the case of Word 2000, I found that a call to Document.UpdateAllFields fixed it. Since the documents in which the issue presented were being generated by a VBA program running from a template (DOT), my solution was to have it update the fields before it saved and closed each new document.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.