Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Trusteer to enhance online-banking security

BRADLEY ON SECURITY

Using Trusteer to enhance online-banking security

By Susan Bradley

With online-banking fraud on the rise, small businesses like mine need additional protection options. Trusteer Rapport software is one such option I've looked at recently, and it earns a thumbs-up.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/bradley-on-security/using-trusteer-to-enhance-online-banking-security/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

JCitizen (2013-08-08)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trusteer vs Keyscrambler

Is Trusteer any more effective than Keyscrambler? See http://www.qfxsoftware.com/ . Free version works with all major browsers, paid version works with most applications.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusteer]:

"In a presentation given at 44con in September 2011, bypassing Trusteer Rapport's keylogger protection was shown to be relatively trivial."

Thanks
    Seems like Susan Bradley is not aware of the general user opinion that Trusteer Rapport causes more problems than it purports to solve, clogging up your PC worse than Norton and McAfee used to do several years ago. The general recommendation among (former) users whose opinions that I've read is - avoid.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with Trusteer

I have been using Trusteer for some time. Lately logging on to any HTTPS site became very slow (both FF and IE9) would just freeze up for 30 seconds. In some cases it froze completely and after that the only remedy was to reboot the machine

An Internet search suggested that the problem could be Trusteer and that it should be uninstalled, the latest version downloaded and installed again. That solved the problems completely.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Bundaburra- here is a bit info about our protection mechanisms- http://www.trusteer.com/support/how-...ort-protect-me

melvynm- the specific bypass described in the video is no longer possible, Rapport's new version does not allow it.
    Trusteer and the banks we work with are constantly testing Rapport against financial malware to make sure it provides the most effective protection possible. We strongly encourage members of the security community to test Trusteer Rapport against financial malware.
    The strength of Trusteer Rapport is in its ability to detect, block, and remove financial malware as demonstrated by this report: http://www.trusteer.com/sites/defaul...s/Mandiant.pdf.
    The Register had a piece about it as well- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10...curity_bypass/
    If you can find financial malware that successfully operate on a Rapport protected machine please let us know - publicly or privately. We offer money rewards for anyone who can provide us with a sample of a live financial malware “in the wild” that successfully operates on a Rapport protected machine.
    If you wish to continue this discussion- here or privately, we would be happy to do so.

BATcher- Rapport should not cause problems (and more than 99% of users don't experience them) but when it does our 24/7 support center is happy to help.

getrritvn- usually uninstall-reinstall does solve the problem. We release updates on a weekly basis for new browser versions and malwares but sometimes the automatic update is not quick enough.

For more info or support feel free to contact our support- https://www.trusteer.com/support/report-problem

Regards,
    Alex Man
    Trusteer Technical Support
    Last edited by TrusteerSupport; 2013-03-07 at 06:26.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrusteerSupport For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2013-03-10),bobprimak (2013-03-07),JCitizen (2013-03-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrusteerSupport View Post
    The Register had a piece about it as well- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10...curity_bypass/
    Yes, it did - but did you read the later comments that were left at the end of the article?
    BATcher

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this useful article and the various responses. I agree that Rapport is good in principle. But it's also true that it poses some problems for Windows users, though not the kind of resource-hogging older anti-virus packages used to cause.
    * On two occasions, months apart, it caused various blue screens on my PC. Each time the cause was chased to Rapport and I followed their advice to disable 'Cerberus', one of the Rapport components. Some days later they updated the program and I could fully re-enable it.
    * On several occasions it conflicts with or fails to work correctly with new versions of Firefox
    * On several occasions it runs but does not correctly protect the bank websites I use (and which are listed as protected by Rapport): the Rapport icon does not turn green when I access the sites and it reports that it is not actively protecting them.

To their great credit, the Rapport tech support people are very diligent and patient, on one occasion spending well over an hour online to make changes to the Rapport setup on my PC (which they can control remotely via LogMeIn --a process I find slightly scary), and eventually the problems are sorted out.

However, I think using Rapport is a bit of a mixed blessing and certainly it would help if they could update the product more regularly to cope with browser changes and updates.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Alright- I read the article....went to the website and can find no place to DL or evaluate this product....I am not a neophyte but lost in this case.

Al

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allanhm View Post
    Alright- I read the article....went to the website and can find no place to DL or evaluate this product....I am not a neophyte but lost in this case.
    Although there's no apparent download link from the Rapport product page, and their "Site Map" is totally useless, clicking "BANK CUSTOMERS CLICK HERE" at the top goes to;

http://www.trusteer.com/download-trusteer-rapport

(It used to be the case that you could only download it from your bank.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-03-07 at 13:18.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2013-03-07)

Thanks
    @ TrusteerSupport -- It's great to see a response from a representative of Trusteer itself. This was useful in answering technical and end-user types of questions. So now we have the answers directly from the source. It's not often in these forums that the Company itself will directly respond to our concerns. Many thanks for this!
    -- Bob Primak --

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

JCitizen (2013-08-08)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To BATcher - read the stories of the fraudulent activity going on in online banking. I too heard all of the stories of the issues, but that was then and I gave it a good workout now. I went in as a total doubting Thomas and skeptic. I came out giving it a fresh look which is what this review is all about. I have it running without issues on several machines.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

JCitizen (2013-08-08)

Thanks
    From what I've seen and read, you are very fortunate! Chacun à son goût...
    BATcher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I previously used Trusteer Rapport on Windows 7. Today I decided to give it a try on Windows 8.

I was about to post that perhaps more recent versions were more reliable, so I tried to open Rapport Console to check the version number. All I got was an icon on the task bar and no window would appear whatever I did; the application task could not be killed with task manager no matter how many times I tried. So I'm stuck with a useless icon on the task bar until I reboot or log off/on, which is a first for me on Windows 8.

So perhaps recent versions are not more reliable? (I'd already noticed a problem where Rapport's "check protection" window was displayed partly off the side of the screen.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-03-08 at 03:45.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've serviced a few business computers which were using Trusteer. These systems were what we'd all consider underpowered...XP with 1GB and loads of apps installed...and Trusteer was a big resource consumer. (how's that for being politically correct? lol)

Can't blame Trusteer for that, but convincing a small business to join the current decade with a standard Win 7 system is often tough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast