Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Surviving your first hour with Office 2013

TOP STORY

Surviving your first hour with Office 2013

By Woody Leonhard

If you've looked into Office 2013's "improvements," they might have struck you as they did me as largely gratuitous, cumbersome, and designed more to add to Microsoft's coffers than to improve Office productivity. Fortunately, there are ways rid yourself of Office 2013's worst changes if you know the tricks.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/surviving-your-first-hour-with-office-2013/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Office 2013 *NOT* for me!

I bought MSO2013 via the home use program at work.

In the past there was an option to download to MSI and burn to DVD. NOT! this time.

There is no second install now option after 'click to install'.

It immediately takes over your previous Office Installation.

I uninstalled and 'repaired' my MSO 2010 install. Never gain.

That was the first 'Grief'. The second was the word 'Cloud'.

At 60 I've been in Advanced Electronics and Computers since I joined the Navy at 17.

Well there really weren't computers back then available to the public. BUt, you get my drift.

So, anything that requires a reliable connection to the internet, which having lost connectivity many times in the city, even, is a big NO for me. Uesable Software is something I can take to the Mountaintop on a Netbook if need be.

As for the Cloud... I trust no one with my data... Or, my software... And, I keep multiple backups on everything...

So, for me the Cloud is a non-starter as is Windows 8. Sorry, I'm a dinosaur and I do not chase tablet consumer fads.

All my electronics and programming is Desktop Based and I'll probably be forced to Open Office and Ultimately Linux.

Good Grief!

I did delete the MSO2013 and got a refund.

Yeah, it's only $10. But, it's the lack of up front communication about no download options and having to pay an extra $14 to get a DVD shipped with added postage and taxes... Yech Microsoft... Too big for their britces!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting a grip on starting, opening, and saving

I haven't read past the "Getting a grip..." section and this article is already extremely useful. Thank you for the tips. Those backstage screens were driving me nuts.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No criticism of the column. What is innovative here? Nothing. This is simply change for change's sake, so that Microsoft Press can mill out Office 2013 books, Microsoft can collect royalties on Office 2013 courses taught by its certified acolytes, and on and on. Office 2013 follows a trend started with Office 2007, doesn't it? Gee, let's keep changing the look-and-feel of the product while leaving its major functions the same. Oh, and maybe fix a bug or two.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm really disappointed with the screen clarity in my Office 365 Outlook program. It's hard to read, the colors and separation are not distinct and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it effectively. I've never encountered this issue with any other application or with Office 2010 or any of the predecessors. I've essentially given up on it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritualMadMan View Post
    I bought MSO2013 via the home use program at work.

In the past there was an option to download to MSI and burn to DVD. NOT! this time.

There is no second install now option after 'click to install'.

It immediately takes over your previous Office Installation.
    I, too, was mightily annoyed by that, but you can download the Office 2013 trial version (a 666MB .img file), burn it or mount it as a virtual drive, and you have complete control over your install options. I entered my HUP activation key, and it accepts that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benmyers View Post
    No criticism of the column. What is innovative here? Nothing. This is simply change for change's sake, so that Microsoft Press can mill out Office 2013 books, Microsoft can collect royalties on Office 2013 courses taught by its certified acolytes, and on and on. Office 2013 follows a trend started with Office 2007, doesn't it? Gee, let's keep changing the look-and-feel of the product while leaving its major functions the same. Oh, and maybe fix a bug or two.
    Maybe you don't need it, but there is innovation. There is an increased huge of the cloud and the way that is accessible in Office is quite interesting and it's very good for those who need or want to use the cloud. It's not for everyone, but it is for some. This integration, the ability to cooperatively edit documents, for example, is innovative and quite useful, if you need it.

Cloud computing is here to stay. Major players will increase its integration with their operating systems and software offers, this is not only Microsoft and Office 2013 innovates there. Contrary to Woody's opinion, expressed in the column, I really enjoy this integration.

Thanks
    For those who want to stick with a desktop Office Suite, LibreOffice or OpenOffice do present good Office alternatives.

Yes, Cloud computing is here to stay, but mandatory Cloud Storage is more of an Apple i-this, i-that strategy.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks

MS Office may be the best thing to happen to open source alternatives

I use Open Office because I like it, I use MS Office only because I have to. I think MS Office may be the best thing to happen to open source alternatives. I've already decided I'm not going to upgrade my XP machines to any newer versions of Windoze, I'm in the process of testing various linux distros to find my next successor to XP...
    d1hartman

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I really didn't find this article to be very helpful at all. Frankly, it comes across as crotchety and snide and just one long rant about Mr. Leonhard's dislikes with Office 2013. I've been reading Woody on Office since sometime back in the 1990's. Used to own a great thick book ("Woody Leonhard Teaches Microsoft Office 2000") by Mr. Leonhard on using Office and found it very helpful. But if it had been written in the style he exhibits here, I never would have bought it or otherwise followed him.

Mr. Leonhard writes "Click File/Open and try to find a file located on your computer. Instead of going to the familiar file-open dialog box you’ve used for the past — couple of decades? — Office 2013 takes you to a touch-friendly window that reeks of SkyDrive" as though trying to find a file on your PC via this interface is difficult. Well...right there in the screenshot is "Computer" (not to mention "Recent Documents.") What's the issue? Why does this "reek" (Defines as "Smell strongly and unpleasantly; stink") exactly? Is there some issue with making SkyDrive's availability prominent as a file location beyond Mr. Leonhard's seeming personal distaste for it?

I'm not going to go through the whole thing and pick it apart. I will just say that if I were an editor and Mr. Leonhardt's article here came across my desk, it would be sent back for rewrite. Very poor.
    Last edited by oxfordsystems; 2013-03-07 at 15:32.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to clarify - Are you saying that people (like me) who do not have internet access at home can not install Office 2013? That Office now *requires* an internet connection to work?

Concerning the design changes: It's just one more bump in the nightmare. The ribbons are a disaster of inefficiency. This description of Office 2013 just continues the trend. As another posted stated, Office 2007 + and now Windows 8 are the best things to happen to open source software. Previous to these releases, I would never have considered switching to anything else. Now I definitely will when my current PC gives out.

I appreciate the review. It is good to know what direction MS is going to - (and it's not learning from their mistakes!).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahReader View Post
    Just to clarify - Are you saying that people (like me) who do not have internet access at home can not install Office 2013? That Office now *requires* an internet connection to work?

Concerning the design changes: It's just one more bump in the nightmare. The ribbons are a disaster of inefficiency. This description of Office 2013 just continues the trend. As another posted stated, Office 2007 + and now Windows 8 are the best things to happen to open source software. Previous to these releases, I would never have considered switching to anything else. Now I definitely will when my current PC gives out.

I appreciate the review. It is good to know what direction MS is going to - (and it's not learning from their mistakes!).
    The standard installer must be downloaded before you can install it. There are more expensive full retail versions, either now or coming. But the idea seems to be to install Office 2013 from the Internet, use it with and Internet connection, and store files on SkyDrive. Local solutions seem to be discouraged.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Once the desktop applications are installed an internet connection is not required to use the programs. A connection is only required periodically to validate the software. You could use the programs on an airplane as you always have.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad Woody has given us a sharp review of this topic. Thanks.

What I'd like to look at are the alternatives! We can easily react to MSOffice like a rabbit caught in the headlights. In this mode, you can't move, you have to react to it!

I agree with all your gripes, Woody! $, and zlotys line the streets.
    SpiritualMadMan started, BobP answered, suggesting the alternatives of Open Office and Libre Office depending on your platform.

Let me offer a viewpoint from one type of computer user: I'm based in one location. I don't need a laptop or a tablet or a mobile phone\cellphone [I've got them but don't use them] because the alternative full size PC, webmail and the landline telephone will do the job.

Storage? I could extract one or more terabyte backup machines, stow them in various places, reciprocally with friends, in commercial property, and so on, with no hint of the potential security problems of cloud users.

But the big question is surely, what is MSOffice's usp in all its different iterations?

Are Powerpoint and Publisher effective monopolies? I don't think so.

I do not understand why everyone has to have Office. Yes, it is "good" software, but even ten years ago it was irritating me with its failure to involve me with what I wanted from a Word Processor. Remember Mr Cheeky Chippy Clippy Paperclip?

It decides what you want and doesn't explain. And that is without considering its very least friendly feature: Access, for which - at least for beginners, whom I was charged with helping - novices found it no help whatsoever.

You may find some of this irrelevant, but I think it supports Woody's extremely moderate valuation of the latest service-based offerings from Microsoft.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oxfordsystems View Post
    Mr. Leonhard writes "Click File/Open and try to find a file located on your computer. Instead of going to the familiar file-open dialog box you’ve used for the past — couple of decades? — Office 2013 takes you to a touch-friendly window that reeks of SkyDrive" as though trying to find a file on your PC via this interface is difficult. Well...right there in the screenshot is "Computer" (not to mention "Recent Documents.") What's the issue? Why does this "reek" (Defines as "Smell strongly and unpleasantly; stink") exactly? Is there some issue with making SkyDrive's availability prominent as a file location beyond Mr. Leonhard's seeming personal distaste for it?
    I can't see one. I think your post is a very good summary of the article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast