Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Windows permissions: Why won't it let me do what I want?

I recently purchased a new SSD to replace my C drive. Before doing the install, I took a bunch of backups, including copying the entire contents of the drive to my E: drive (normally used just for data). The install proceeded without a hitch; very satisfying!
    Before I got round to cleaning up, my normal backup process copied this C drive information to my D drive (just backups normally).

Now I should point out that I am the only user on this PC, and the only one with physical access to it. My login is administrator-level - heck, as a long-time Unix system administrator, I reckon if I am stupid enough to hose my system, then I deserve all the fun I am going to have putting things right!

Today, I went to delete the spare copies of my C drive, only to be told that I do not have permission - I need permission from "trustedInstaller", or something. I am the administrator - why can't I delete my own files???

Just to add to the fun, I recently downloaded TrueImage 2013, and yesterday I tried out the "continuous backup" option. After just a few hours, the backup size was well over 100 GB. So, I stopped the process, and went to delete the un-needed backup files. Once again, I am told that I do not have permission to do this!

It seems that the only way I can restore this disk space is to copy everything else off and reformat the drives. To say that this is not a task I want to play with doesn't even *begin* to describe my frustration!

This issue has come up before, but never in such an egregious way... Is there anyone out there who can tell me how to get permission to do stuff on my own PC? Before I am tempted to hurl the whole device through the window, preferably.

I throw this on the mercy of the experts! Thanks,

Phil.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloke For This Useful Post:

kaybee (2014-03-06)

3. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4. Administrator
    Thanks
    Even though your user is a member of the administrator group it is not the Administrator on the machine just as a user account is not ROOT on a UNIX machine.

You may need to take ownership of a folder or files to do what you wish. See Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista and Take Ownership of a File or Folder for instructions.

If you are running WIndows 8 see Take Ownership Of Files And Folders In Windows 8. If you do not want to add a context menu item see How to Take Full Ownership of Files & Folders in Windows 8.

Joe

5. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! That works very nicely.

I don't understand what you mean about not being root. If I am the only user in the system, and my login is marked as administrator-level, then the system should allow me to do anything I want, no matter how stupid it is! All unix users will have come across the same scenario, more or less: "rm */* - pause - AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH"

Other than your fix to grab ownership, how else could anything system-level be done? I have come across the same situation many times: "Ask your administrator for permission". Who is this administrator and where does he live?

Anyway, did I say thank you?

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Even though your user is a member of the administrator group it is not the Administrator on the machine just as a user account is not ROOT on a UNIX machine.

You may need to take ownership of a folder or files to do what you wish. See Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista and Take Ownership of a File or Folder for instructions.

If you are running WIndows 8 see Take Ownership Of Files And Folders In Windows 8. If you do not want to add a context menu item see How to Take Full Ownership of Files & Folders in Windows 8.

Joe

6. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 989 Posts
    Sometimes, for file handling operations, you can remove some of those annoying messages by running Explorer as Administrator. Right click Explorer and choose Run As Administrator.

I understand your protest, especially with your Unix background. Problem is, until XP, pretty much everybody run their Windows systems as root, which posed quite serious security issues. The situation you have now is the result of trying to mitigate those risks. So, even when running an administrator account, you may not have permissions to perform file operations over certain files or folders. Taking Ownership is a good way to overcome any remaining difficulties.

7. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an interesting turn of events here... I am getting a dialogue saying that I need permission from Phil to delete these files. I am Phil...

Time for a reboot, see if that shuts it up!

Phil.

8. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope. Even after a reboot, it refuses to let me delete these files, without permission from me... I tried opening explorer as administrator, but that didn't make any difference.

At least it is only a few files; I was able to delete the other 60GB of stuff...

9. Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you take ownership of those files?

10. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yep. It even says that I need permission from me to delete them! Isn't windows fun???

11. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the OP says he has Unix experience, he should download a "live" Linux ISO (a good choice is Puppy Linux - http://www.puppylinux.org/) burn it to disc, boot it up, and then delete the offending files.

12. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Downloading and installing Linux seems like a heck of a hassle, to delele my files off my PC...

At this stage, the unwanted files are small and not a problem. It's the bigger picture I would like to know about... *Why* will it not let me delete files - as the administrator, or even having run the workaround to change the ownership. Given that I am the only userid on there, why on Earth would it tell me that I need permission from me?

I know a lot of people do business or multi-user stuff on their machines, but it *is* a Personal Compuer. For people like me, who are sole users and crave power over the electrons running around inside this box, this is not a terribly good state of affairs.

13. Administrator
    Thanks
    I suppose I have never been completely stopped by windows restrictions. You may want to right click the problematic folders and check the security settings, assigning ownership, delete deny permissions, and similar, until you achieve what you want. I agree, though, it's not fun.

14. Administrator
    Thanks
    You could try using PendMoves v1.2 to delete the files at boot time.

Joe

15. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried that. Didn't work. It says that it is ready to delete the 2 files on reboot, but nothing happens. If it is providing any error output, there is no way for me to see it.

This whole situation is becoming farcical! All I want to do is remove 2 files from my own PC. The files are owned by me. but the system still won't let me do this... I am getting very frustrated here! We should not have to jump through these hoops...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If I ever find a way, I will post it back here. I really don't want to do a format - just copying the data back and forth will take a bunch of hours.

Phil.

16. Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you let us know which files are in question and where they are located?

17. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I think we got it...

I went in an applied every sort of permission listed, to every entity on the system. It threw out a couple of horrified messages about inherited permissions or something, but eventually it did what I wanted.

Thanks again guys,

Phil.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast