Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Can you let us know which files are in question and where they are located?
    Yes, they were under windows\System32 (and \SysWOW64)\Macromedia\Flash\Flash[some numbers].ocx
    Interestingly, they seemed to be in the wrong folders - the one with 64 in it's name was in the System32 directory tree, and the one with 32 was under SysWOW64.

I still don't think we should have to spend this many hours to delete 2 simple files.

Did I ever mention that I hate windows???

Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    That's weird, I can delete those with a simple right click and choosing Delete from the popup menu. Are you sure they aren't being used when you try to delete them?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    That's weird, I can delete those with a simple right click and choosing Delete from the popup menu. Are you sure they aren't being used when you try to delete them?
    Nope. At one point, early on in the game, it *did* say that they were in use, but I had closed down everything which I could think of - explorer, email, can't remember what else. The last 20 or 30 efforts have been with hardly anything running at all. Plus, I still don't know why the movefile thing failed...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you use TakeOwnership on both Flash folders?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I did it for the whole directory tree, which I could then mostly delete. Those were the only files which failed, and I tried the ownership thing several times. Looking at the properties for the, the only 'entity' with permissions to do *anything* was trustedinstaller. Owner, administrator, there were no other permissions given. I still can't get my head around being told to get permission from myself!

I should point out that the second copy (created by my internal backup) deleted fine after taking ownership. Those files didn't give any problem there.
    Last edited by Bloke; 2013-03-07 at 20:25.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try assigning permissions to yourself.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    Interestingly, they seemed to be in the wrong folders - the one with 64 in it's name was in the System32 directory tree, and the one with 32 was under SysWOW64.
    You are in the wrong - not the files.

64 bit Windows has both System32 and SysWOW64 folders.
    64 bit applications use 64 bit code held in System32
    32 bit applications use 32 bit code held in SysWOW64 - BUT they do not realise that Windows is lying to them,
    they think they are using System32 because that is what they were programmed to do.

I suggest that you download and unzip to different folders both the 32 bit and 64 bit PORTABLE versions of QDIR.
    http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=Q-Dir

The 64 bit version will show you both System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

The 32 bit version is a 32 bit application which will only show you System32
    BUT
    if you study the the sizes of System32 files as seen by 32 bit QDIR
    you will observe that they are exactly the same as 64 bit QDIR shows within SysWOW64.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That doesn't sound right to me... If a 32-bit application was programmed to look in System32, wouldn't it make sense to leave the 32-bit code in there. That way, they don't need to know anything about the 64-bit stuff. I know the people who design windows have some strange ideas (the registry????) but it seems particularly silly to put 32-bit files in a folder with 64 in its name, and 64-bit files in a folder with 32 in its name. Maybe it's just me, but...

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by alan.b View Post
    You are in the wrong - not the files.

64 bit Windows has both System32 and SysWOW64 folders.
    64 bit applications use 64 bit code held in System32
    32 bit applications use 32 bit code held in SysWOW64 - BUT they do not realise that Windows is lying to them,
    they think they are using System32 because that is what they were programmed to do.

I suggest that you download and unzip to different folders both the 32 bit and 64 bit PORTABLE versions of QDIR.
    http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=Q-Dir

The 64 bit version will show you both System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

The 32 bit version is a 32 bit application which will only show you System32
    BUT
    if you study the the sizes of System32 files as seen by 32 bit QDIR
    you will observe that they are exactly the same as 64 bit QDIR shows within SysWOW64.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this post. For years i have run into the situation described here. I always figured that I must have trashed my permissions without realizing it. (Often at night I would wake up at the keyboard and find something amiss.) Thank you for your persistence in getting to the bottom of this excruciatingly frustrating Windows issue. (Wish mainframes would make a comeback. Sigh.) Best wishes, Sam

New Lounger
    Thanks

Along the same lines as OP's post

I have a Windows 7 system I built last fall for gaming, and some other light tasks. I got so frustrated trying to get anything done, I haven't even turned the bloody thing on since before Christmas.

Like the OP, I have always operated at Administrator level. No matter what I try to do on this Win7 machine, I constantly get messages telling I can't access this, or I don't have permission for that. I deeply resent Microsoft deciding for me what I can or can't do on MY machine using software that I purchased. I don't use the cloud, nobody else has access to my PC, and I have excellent internet security installed.

How do I make it allow me full access like I have on my XP Pro machine? I want to completely disable those stupid so-called "safeguards" Microsoft thinks I need. Right now, I've got a $500 brick sitting on my bench gathering dust.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    I have a Windows 7 system I built last fall for gaming, and some other light tasks. I got so frustrated trying to get anything done, I haven't even turned the bloody thing on since before Christmas.

Like the OP, I have always operated at Administrator level. No matter what I try to do on this Win7 machine, I constantly get messages telling I can't access this, or I don't have permission for that. I deeply resent Microsoft deciding for me what I can or can't do on MY machine using software that I purchased. I don't use the cloud, nobody else has access to my PC, and I have excellent internet security installed.

How do I make it allow me full access like I have on my XP Pro machine? I want to completely disable those stupid so-called "safeguards" Microsoft thinks I need. Right now, I've got a $500 brick sitting on my bench gathering dust.
    See the links in post #2.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    (Often at night I would wake up at the keyboard and find something amiss.)
    This would seem to be the ideal example of a PEBCAK.

Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I turned off the UAC, or whatever it is they call it, about 3 days in. It wouldn't let me do *anything* without a struggle... I have turned off everything I can think of, but still it won't let me access my own files. This particular issue was just the final straw.

Microsoft needs to realise that not all PCs are used in busy office environments. It is a *personal* computer after all! Why can't they put some kind of software switch which allows you to turn off *all* these restrictions? If I screw it up, that's my problem. Even without doing anything silly and breaking it, the first thing tech support will do (assuming you can actually get to someone!) is tell you that it must be the fault of the other software on the system...

I would love to meet the guy who came up with the registry, in a dark alley one night! The idea that all your applications have to be installed after any kind of upgrade or reload of the OS... I used to shut down a major Unix box, load a new version of the OS (on about 100 floppies!), then as soon as I was done, everyone could get back to work. Besides, windows has *always* been known as a system which needs to be reloaded periodically anyway!

Grrrr...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    Besides, windows has *always* been known as a system which needs to be reloaded periodically anyway!
    That may have been the case in pre-XP days. I still run XP systems with no apparent issues which have been running for years. I've never reloaded a Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 system just because it is Windows.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Might it be possible to install Win XP (say on a thumb drive) and use that to delete the stubborn files. Or maybe even DOS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast