Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    I just tried this. There *is* a password, and since I didn't know anything about this, I certainly didn't create a password on it... Ok, I managed to reset the password and I was able to change user to administrator. I called up task manager, and tried to stop the MsMpEng process. Guess what?
    "action failed - permission is denied".
    This is understandable. MsMpEng is the MSE process and if it could be killed that simply, it would be useless as an antimalware.

MSE is a high resource, average effectiveness AV solution, but that doesn't justify the behavior in this case...

Anyway, seems you sorted it, so that is a good thing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Spoke too soon... :-( I right-clicked on my dvd drive this afternoon, and then went back to work. That was at 1:30. It is now 5:25, and the context menu has not opened yet. That must be something of a record!

I started indexing off again, in case it was the lack of an index which was holding it up. That has also been running for 4 hours or so. Currently it says 144,809 items indexed, and that speed is reduced due to user activity... How could it possibly go any slower???

Phil.
    Search indexer is probably the worst enemy of performance in a Windows system. I just stop it all the time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I didn't have to reinstall windows after installing the SSD. I cloned my C drive to the SSD, then physically installed it, and that was it. The software which came with the drive took care of switching drive letters, making sure that the pc would boot from the SSD, and that was it. I didn't change anything to do with user names or accounts.
    SSDs work quite differently to conventional HDDs, and the OS needs to be SSD-aware because of those differences. You might find this Wikipedia article helpful (the section on filesystems about 2/3 down).

Could your problems have something to do with your having cloned from a conventional HDD to your SSD? Maybe doing so has upset the NTFS filesystem somehow?

You might want to consider backing up your SSD's contents and doing a test install of Win7 on it (might take a couple of hours, but should give you some idea whether or not there is some deep-seated filesystem problem in your existing installation).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Spoke too soon... :-( I right-clicked on my dvd drive this afternoon, and then went back to work. That was at 1:30. It is now 5:25, and the context menu has not opened yet. That must be something of a record!

I started indexing off again, in case it was the lack of an index which was holding it up. That has also been running for 4 hours or so. Currently it says 144,809 items indexed, and that speed is reduced due to user activity... How could it possibly go any slower???

Phil.
    Have you run an FS repair scan? If not, you probably should before going further.

Open a command prompt (Start/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt, right-click, click "Run as administrator").
    Type "chkdsk c: /r" (w/o quotes) then press Enter (change "c:" to suit if your Windows partition is using some other drive letter [which is another potential cause of problems]).
    This will check for NTFS errors and attempt to repair any errors found - usually takes 30min to 1hr or so).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tibrogargan View Post
    SSDs work quite differently to conventional HDDs, and the OS needs to be SSD-aware because of those differences. You might find this Wikipedia article helpful (the section on filesystems about 2/3 down).

Could your problems have something to do with your having cloned from a conventional HDD to your SSD? Maybe doing so has upset the NTFS filesystem somehow?

You might want to consider backing up your SSD's contents and doing a test install of Win7 on it (might take a couple of hours, but should give you some idea whether or not there is some deep-seated filesystem problem in your existing installation).
    SSDs work fine on Windows 7 and cloning results should be totally transparent to the OS, in terms of file system access. I cloned my laptop disk to replace it by an SSD and it was trouble free (although the OS is Windows 8).

Thanks

Some items not yet covered in this thread:

MS Antimalware Service = Windows Defender. Enabled in Win 8 by default, and similar to MSE on Win 7. Both can be turned off, and should be turned off (uninstalled in the case of MSE) before installing any other active AV or AS product. This will shut down the background activity of the Antimalware Service.

You should have active antimalware in Windows 7, but if MSE is not working out, maybe another AV program might work with less resource hogging? I don't recommend Avast Free, as it has components which are just as taxing as MSE, if not worse. Same thing for Norton and McAfee paid AV suites.

Flash Player in Win 8 (but not in Win 7) in IE 10 is not Adobe Flash Player. There are Registry values which are locked in Win 8 in regards to Flash Player, and these are in my experience impervious to any Permissions or Ownership changes. You simply cannot delete Flash Player or change it in Win 8/IE 10. While this does not specifically apply to Windows 7, the SysWoW instance of the Flash files might be affected by some similar sort of locking. I have particular trouble getting rid of the old Flash Player Active X files, whether from original locations, or from copies elsewhere.

Generally, enabling the Super Administrator Account (Hidden Administrator) will remove any effect of Windows 7 UACs on permissions. But this willl not remove restrictions based on Ownership. Even Windows Super Administrators do not have permission to override or shut down some running Services. The Services must be Stopped before being disabled. This is done with the Administrator Tools (for Services).

I have had a LOT of issues with Acronis True Image Home since ATIH 2011. Most of these issues revolve around Acronis Sync Services.(This is used to enable File Sharing and Cloud Backup, among other uses.) It tries to be always on and starts with Windows, yet is not a Windows Startup Item which can be disabled through MS Config.

Preferring a backup program which only does backup andrecovery to my local external HDDs, I have switched to Macrium Reflect (either paid or free). It doesn't keep running its processes when not in use for backup and recovery. But it also doesn't continuously sync files between the main drive and any backup locations, so there would be a need for another program to do that, as far as I know. Generally, I have had few problems getting Reflect to work, both creating and restoring from backup archives to external conventional HDDs.

The Acronis Installer has on rare occasions refused to complete, resulting in neither being installed nor uninstalled. I rebuilt that Windows installation to get rid of Acronis and its problems. No such issues on any other machine.

No, Windows is not Unix, and this is very frustrating for some folks. If Desktop Linux had more compatible programs and better support communities, I too might drop Windows for Linux. But in the Real World, the hassles of finding support or software which matches MS Office formats for instance, just isn't worth making the switch. For a Unix user, this might be a lot less of a consideration.

So I deal with Windows, in spite of its limitations, and I think that's what the rest of the 92% of PC users who run Windows are doing every day. It is a pain and a bother sometimes, but this is the most used and most supported OS in the world today, and in the foreseeable future.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    You simply cannot delete Flash Player or change it in Win 8/IE 10.
    You can disable it: How to Lock Down IE 10 by Disabling Flash in Windows 8

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought True Image a year or two ago, having just bought a 4TB external drive. The program would not backup to that drive. Tech support blamed the fact that it was over 2TB in size - not uncommon these days. I partitioned the drive, but it made no difference at all. The experience left a nasty taste in my mouth. I hadn't used it since.

Then they sent me an email about the 2013 version of the program, so I downloaded it, and am in the middle of my 30-day evaluation. It is *much* improved from the earlier one. No problem with the external drive, or running a backup while the PC is in use - something else the older one would not do.

You have to boot from their rescue disk in order to restore the windows partition, but it does work. I have restored twice in the past couple of weeks, and there were no problems either time.

One quirk it has now, is that it is not possible to create a full backup of a drive and keep it separate. I have it running automatically every night, but the size of the file is growing exponentially. My C drive backup is only about 60GB, but the current size of the backup file is close to 400GB. Because of space limitations, I want to delete the oldest ones every few days. That causes problems with restoring, because the program is looking for a 'set' of backups.
    If you set it for what they call 'single version' backup, it will create an independent file, but then overwrite it each time...

Not having registered the program yet, I cannot get to tech support. I posted a message on their user forums about a week ago, asking how to get around this, but nobody has bothered to reply.

I agree with you completely about windows... When it works, it is ok, but the innards are so complex now that nobody can figure out what is going wrong. I get sick of hearing tech support people blame whatever my problem is, on someone else's software. I do not understand what the problem was with the old way of doing things - each application having its own .ini file. (senior moment - was *that* what they were called?).

It's like the old quote about democracy (I think by Churchill), that it is the worst way of doing things, except for all the others!

Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    I have had a LOT of issues with Acronis True Image Home since ATIH 2011. Most of these issues revolve around Acronis Sync Services.(This is used to enable File Sharing and Cloud Backup, among other uses.) It tries to be always on and starts with Windows, yet is not a Windows Startup Item which can be disabled through MS Config.

Preferring a backup program which only does backup andrecovery to my local external HDDs, I have switched to Macrium Reflect (either paid or free). It doesn't keep running its processes when not in use for backup and recovery. But it also doesn't continuously sync files between the main drive and any backup locations, so there would be a need for another program to do that, as far as I know. Generally, I have had few problems getting Reflect to work, both creating and restoring from backup archives to external conventional HDDs.

So I deal with Windows, in spite of its limitations, and I think that's what the rest of the 92% of PC users who run Windows are doing every day. It is a pain and a bother sometimes, but this is the most used and most supported OS in the world today, and in the foreseeable future.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ bobprimak
    'I have had few problems getting Reflect to work, both creating and restoring from backup archives to external conventional HDDs.'

Have I misunderstood, or are you saying that Reflect can only restore to another external HDD? If so, how do you restore to the PC?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

You could try this to activate administrator account for all machine.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, did that last week.

About the other message, re. cloning from HDD to SSD. I don't see why NTFS should care, really. I copied the data from one disk to another (at least, to what appeared to be another, to windows), then changed the drive letters accordingly. I really don't see why that should cause a problem. I don't see any other way to add an SSD to a PC, otherwise.

I am running ReImage at the moment. That has saved me from some screwed up action before. If that doesn't help, then I need to reinstall windows (eek!). I was going to do a non-desctructive install, to preserve my data, etc., but because I have no idea *what* is causing this problem, I may just bite the bullet and reinstall from scratch. That way, I can be certain that none of the software settings has caused a problem.

Not how I planned to spend my weekend, but...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    You could try this to activate administrator account for all machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft needs to realise that not all PCs are used in busy office environments. It is a *personal* computer after all! Why can't they put some kind of software switch which allows you to turn off *all* these restrictions? If I screw it up, that's my problem.
    How about big switch graphic on a options screen ... Windows Smart (for us) - Windows Stupid (for the unwashed masses). I'd pay extra for that kind of functionality! Like you, I want GOD-level access to all of the files on my computer...I'm the human, Darn it!

I would love to meet the guy who came up with the registry, in a dark alley one night!
    Him along with Steve B. and the "Let's get rid of all the menu(s)" guy - need to be tarred and feathered and run out of Redmond!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, am I glad I ran across this thread! I've put some old drives in extra bays on my aging Win 7 computer, and the cheap extra storage is nice, but Secunia kept complaining about the left-over executables on the extra drives. So I finally got around to deleting the windows and winnt directories and it mostly went smoothly. Had to use my admin account (which I DON'T normally run under) for some. Last thing remaining was 3 copies of Flash .exe and .ocx which would not yield to anything. Took ownership as admin and got the same result as Phil ("you need permission from Phil").

Finally ran across the tip to activate "Administrator" and thought "woot, now I'm Root!" Except, not quite. Administator needs permission from "administrators". HUH??? (Curse you yet again, Adobe!!!)

What I WAS able to do was go 4 levels into Properties|Security and give Everyone Full Access to the files, "OK" back out and delete them. Very tedious, no doubt there's a better way but oh well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you... I was going nuts trying to uninstall Flash Player and getting the Windows 8 TrustedInstaller denial.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234