Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Running Metro apps in Windows on the Desktop

A new (paid - $5) app from Stardock allows this. Paul Thurrott has posted about it:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...indows-desktop

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

F.U.N. downtown (2013-03-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, if its well-engineered (most things from Stardock are) this is going to make Win 8 leaps and bounds more useable for me. If the apps ever get on par with the average desktop analog there is some real light at the end of the tunnel!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I agree, this can be very useful. Maybe it will draw attention to some cool Metro apps out there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I have an Object Desktop subscription, its downloaded and installed...I was just complaining about the lack of the tried and true Min/Restore/Close buttons (close is the one must have) and how disparate the two interfaces are, each only well suited to its own environment. This seems to be the true path to unification on desktops.
    I was hoping some apps might be interactive with desktop windows, perhaps allow drag and drop, maybe even find a way to overcome the stupid library homegroup limitation but that does not seem to be the case...still, baby steps and all that.

...later, working well so far, apps are windowed, can easily take them back to full if desired, just another tab in the all mighty taskbar, a close button...I'm going to test it out in VMWare Unity mode in the next couple of days, see how stable it is there. It wasn't working so well previous since any app would overwhelm Unity and defeat the purpose but if its bug free, I'll be running Win 8 apps on my XP desktop and still have a multi-task[bar] workspace.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-03-06 at 23:19.