New Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble pasting excel spreadsheets into word or powerpoint

Hello,
    I recently started using MS office 2007 (on Windows XP), and am encountering a strange problem when attempting to cut and paste a block of cells from an excel spreadsheet into word or powerpoint. The formatting is completely messed up; the letters are crunched together, and reszing the pasted cell-block never seems to work out. I have tried every available option in paste-special; nothing is satisfactory. I never had this kind of an issue with Office 2003. Any tips? Thanks very much in advance.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Satnair. No help here I'm afraid - I have exactly the same issue and simply gave up trying. I sometimes think very version of Office since 2003 has been written by a saboteur within Microsoft who wants everyone to move to open source alternatives!

My workaround is convert the copy to plain text and reformat in the destination program. I use a utility called GetPlainText which was recommended on this forum. Once installed, pin it to your taskbar where it sits until you copy something to the clipboard. Then you click the program, which runs briefly without popping up a window, and once the program icon drops back to background state paste into the destination. Excel data pastes as tab-delimited text so you just have to set appropriate tab stops for the block.

I'm subscribing to this question in case there's a more helpful reply.

Ian.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iansavell For This Useful Post:

Satnair (2013-03-08)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to stay with Office 2003 for this and many other reasons !

Anyway, in PowerPoint have you tried Options . . . Advanced then check Show paste options.

Then, when pasting, choose Keep Source Format.

What happens if you do Paste and Link ? If that works you can Ungroup to break the link.

This may also give you some clues: http://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=642

Oh my, haven't they succeeded in making something that was simple and intuitive near-impossible ?
    Last edited by MartinM; 2013-03-07 at 09:19.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

Satnair (2013-03-08)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Satnair

First of all, welcome to the Lounge!

I copied a block of cells from Excel2007 and then pasted (using Ctrl-V) into Word2003, Word2007, Word2010 and Word2013.
    Everything worked as expected.
    I had no problems.
    My copied set of cells included different fonts, different font sizes, different coloured cell backgrounds - everything copied same as source.

So the question is why this isn't happening for you.
    Can you be more specific about the versions you are copying to, and the operating system you are using?

zeddy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zeddy For This Useful Post:

Satnair (2013-03-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your input. MartinM: For some odd reason, the 'show paste options' just refuses to show up on anything I cut and paste across modalities (excel to word, excel to powerpoint, etc), even though the option is activated . I know it annoyingly shows up whenever I copy/paste within word. Zeddy: I am doing all this within office 2007, running on windows XP home ed. The crux of the problem is, whenever I resize the pasted block of excel cells in powerpoint or word, the cells resize fine, but the font does not; moreover, the text or numbers in the cells crowds in towards the left corner.

But not to worry; I have settled on my own solution for now: I put an indent into the excell cells and make the font size really big (like 18-20 point) before ccopying and pasting; that is a workable situation. Somehow, all this was so much easier on office 2003! Thanks again for your replies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the copy the selection as an image in excel and then I paste the image into powerpoint.

Thanks
    Unless I specifically want tables, I try to make it a habit to copy from the formula bar instead of copy/pasting the cell into Word. Not practicle for a large amount of data but the extra time spent is offset by the frustration I avoid by not carrying over all that unwanted cell formatting.
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2013-03-08 at 21:08.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Satnair

OK. When you copy a block of cells (Ctrl-C) in Excel 2007, and then paste (Ctrl-V) into Word2007, you will see a 'small clipboard shape' to the bottom-right-corner of the pasted image.
    When you click on this 'small-clipboard shape', you will see a drop-down of Paste options.

If you then select the option 'Paste as Picture', the image can then be re-sized and scaled, which will also re-size and scale the fonts etc.
    However, as a 'picture' object, you won't be able to edit any of the pasted cell contents whilst in Word.
    If you select 'Keep Source Formatting', scaling the block of pasted cells will not scale the fonts, but you are able to edit the cells contents in Word.
    There are also other 'Paste Options' in the drop down you can explore.
    Please check this out and let us know how you get on with this.

zeddy