Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

ALL install attempts fail

Every attempt to install software, upgrades and everything to be installed has failed for weeks now. I haven't even been able to install Acronis True Image 2013 so I can do good backups. Regardless of the program I get error codes and messages saying "failed." I've checked everything I can: sfc /scannow, chkdsk/r, Windows Installer, site support, etc. This is by far the worst experience I've had in all my years of computing. A clean Windows install is so daunting, but if that's what I need to do, OK. I'll be so thankful to any help ideas you all may have. The frustration level is literally making a nervous wreck of me. ellen SEE ATTACHED
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't know if you have another computer, but if you do, it would be a good thing to create a True Image boot disc and create an image of the computer by booting the computer from the boot disc. If you can't do this, or don't feel inclined to do it you can also backup your data in some other way.

After making sure you have ways to recover your data, I would first try a repair install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

It's not destructive and it usually works well enough to solve Windows problems, at least most of times. As there could be malware involved, if you do it and when finished, I would try several scanners, to make sure there is no malware involved.

If this does not work or if you want to be solve it with absolute certainty, you can always reinstall Windows from scratch, even formatting the disc during the install.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Try running the following in cmd, Run as Admin

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth (hit ENTER)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (hit ENTER)

Reboot

Before trying Repair from the OS disc, try Refresh; it will keep your data/files but, software will need to be reloaded.

Also, run Malwarebytes.

Oh & something I noticed in your install failures.pdf... I would recommend removing Norton & using Windows Defender, the security that comes w/ your OS. After removing Norton & rebooting, check in Action Centre that Windows Defender is ON.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Thanks
    I do not think Win 7 has a Refresh option. Also with Win 7 the AV of choice would be MSE, not WD. If the Repair Install does not work, a complete reinstall may be in order.

As Rui says, by booting directly to an Acronis Rescue Disk you can make an Image without going through Windows. If you do not have a second PC perhaps a friend or family member could help. Be advised however that the Image you create will contain the malware if your problem is indeed a malware infection.

You can also try booting to Safe Mode and running MalwareBytes and other AV/AM scanners. This sounds suspiciously like malware blocking attempts at installing anything.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Oh, ooops, obviously I lost sight of my being in a Windows 7 thread; usually thinking about Win8 these days. Got my threads, forums & OSs all mixed up, sorry, but, that was probably fairly overt.... really must get some better drugs (JK).

It's either malware or there are missing , damaged or corrupt (installer) files. If the problem is what I suspect (1) the damage is already done & removing the malware won't fix that. It would likely save a lot of time & effort to either do a Repair or even a rebuild.

Save any important data. What is wrong ( if my suspicions are correct), Repair won't fix it. The OS will need to be re-installed.

And I will, still, recommend changing from Norton to MSE. A lot of malware that can create this kind of behavior Norton oft will not stop it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-03-07 at 06:13.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ellen,

first, take a deep breath.

from your thorough description and very complete pdf attachment i can see you know what you're doing.
    you can handle this.

you have a lot of great advice above. read it understand it and make a list of things. that will help with your order of operations.

decide if there is data on the machine that you need to keep
    -if so either go the image route, or perhaps boot to a linux cd and then copy your data off to a usb flash drive
    -even a repair install can go bad so an image is still recommended
    as warned above, if you have a virus then so will the image.

if you have access to another pc, perhaps another option would be to attach your drive to the other machine with a sata-to-usb adaptor. however only copy off you data (pdfs, .doc, .docx, .xls, etc.) as any exe, dll, etc. could be infected.

just ask here if you need more help, there are many experts here that give freely

good luck
    brino
    b

Thanks
    Try a clean boot to insure you don't have another program interfering with installs:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sincere thanks

I apologize for cluttering up your inboxes and this forum but I have to tell you all that I'm very thankful for your help and ideas. There are so many brilliant brains in this forum that it's the greatest of all forums! Many thanks. ellen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ellen,

It sounds like you arrived at a solution - ??What was it???

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, Zig. No, I haven't arrived at a solution yet. I've had to take care of some pending personal matters and haven't had the to follow all the good advice. I hope it's OK if I get back in touch when hopefully I've fixed the problem. ellen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @ellen,

It is OK to get back any time. We'll be here.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've pinpointed the problem of not being able to install anything at all. I think it relates to Windows Installer. I get this message with every single program I attempt to install: Installation has failed...Fatal error during installation...XX has encountered a fatal error...The error is 2503 (sometimes 2502). I've tried to install the latest Windows Installer with no success. As reported before, I've done everything imagineable -- Malwarebytes, sfc /scannow, chkdsk/r, etc. I've been studying this problem for weeks. I don't think I made any changes to Permissions prior to this problem. Maybe I should use the Windows 7 64 bit repair disk or just go ahead and do a clean install. I can usually fix problems; this one is nightmarish. ellen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Did you try the repair install I suggested in my first post?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ellen,

Yes, the problem is w/ the installer. Running a Repair using the OS disc MAY fix the issue but, for my experience in this IT business, you are more likely to achieve the success you want more quickly, more guaranteed and w/ less fuss & grief by rebuilding (re-installing) the OS. Go straight to the fresh install route for this situation is my educated advice.

Cheers,
    Drew

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Installer - I agree

Drew, from the very beginning of this terrible problem, I knew a clean install would be the best way to go. I've done several before and while it's a hassle, I have good backups and program CDs. Thanks for prompting me to take best route. ellen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast