3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up a homegroup

I have tried to set up a HomeGroup on my 15 month old Windows 7 desktop computer, but when I click on homegroup in Control Panel I get the message "this computer cannot connect to a home network group - try later". I have run the troubleshooter and disabled my zone alarm firewall but to no avail. I have successfully set up the homegroup on my laptop using the same method, but the homegroup software on the desktop machine just will not load.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you running other security software? Have you tried disabling it?

As a side remark, unless you have a specific requirement for the homegroup, not using it will ensure faster performance on network operations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-03-07)

Thanks
    Hi Mike, what versions of Win7 do you have?
    -
    You can join a homegroup in any edition of Windows 7, but you can only create one in Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise editions.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-03-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can only set up a home-group on one computer in the network as master. The others can only join the group not create one.
    There is an option in the home-group page to join a group you must use the same password for all joined groups.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-03-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Homegroup problems

I have Windows 7 home premium 64 bit on both the desktop and the laptop. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as an AV program on both machines and Zone Alarm for a firewall on the desktop. The Windows firewall is normally disabled on the desktop - I have tried with Zone Alarm firewall disabled but it made no difference. When I clicked Control Panel/Network and Internet/HomeGroup on the desktop I got the message that it could not connect - I tried the troubleshooter but to no avail - the home group program just will not open. I then tried the same on the laptop and that opened OK and I was able to enter all of the required information - but I still get blocked on the desktop with the same message. Presently I transfer files between the two machines using a memory stick, but I thought it would be easier wirelessly particularly when my wife wants to print a letter on the wired (not wireless) printer. I have tried the Microsoft Fixit program but to no effect. I have no other problems on the computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Mike,

I know it's going around the problem, but you can share files with no homegroup. Here is a detailed description on how to set it up:

http://howtotechtutorials.com/how-to...out-homegroup/

Maybe try it and let us know how it goes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-03-08)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib - I have copied the description /article you pointed me to and will use that method

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem. I have 4 computers on my home network, now, 2 running Windows 8, 1 running Windows 7 and one still running Vista. I can share stuff between all of them and I don't use a homegroup. Never saw the need for it, tbh.