Lounger
    Thanks

Help getting rid of search.iminent.com (WIN XP)?

I have googled it but the "get rid of" this bad boy software looks to me more dangerous than Iminent itself.

Does anyone know how to uninstall it? Its not in the Windows Add of Remove Programs.

Thank you for any suggestions for a fix or for reputable forum type help.

Paul
    Paulbyr in NC

New Lounger
    Thanks
    paulbyr,

Try the following:
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-iminent-toolbar/

These are steps that have been used in other cases, and got the job done.

When done with AdwCleaner, a text file report opens.
    Please post the content of its report.
    (A copy of the log is also saved at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt)

For now, please go as far as Step 4, running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    When removal is completed, a report opens in Notepad.
    The log is also automatically saved, and can also be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.

Please provide the entire contents of the MBAM report in your reply.
    Last edited by cottonball; 2013-03-07 at 11:53.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cottonball For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2013-03-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    the various solutions all seem to start with removing the software from the Windows XP Control panel/add or remove and this Imminent Search is not on there and never was.

Has anyone actually removed it?

Thanks for all your help.

Paul
    Paulbyr in NC

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Run AdwCleaner.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Asking for help from rated loungers :

Is this above recommended SW, AdwCleaner, known to be safe? I probably got search.iminent.com from a suggested fix by a [un-named] well known security vendor's tech help person. I'm not sure so I won't say who I thought the vendor was.

Thank you
    Paulbyr in NC

Thanks
    Paulbyr,

I'm not personally familiar with this software but a search on the name shows that it is on many highly reputable websites for download including TomsGuide, CNet, BleepingComputer, etc. I would make sure to download from one of the known reputable websites and JIC make sure you have an image backup before you install the program. You could also try Malwarebytes Free, which most of us here highly recommend and was also recommended in an earlier post in this thread, or one of the many online scanners offered by the major AV companies. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2013-06-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I’m seeing search.iminent.com listed repeatedly as adware/spyware, so it’s basically malware. Have you tried running a full system scan with your main antivirus software? That might detect and remove it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul ,
    You will need a tech or advanced user to remove this item , I have removed it for a client of mine. The following info might help you
    1) anti-maleware bytes and your antivirus won't show this product because it is tech. a legal product you installed ( its politics)
    You have to know how to remove a hijack of your browser manually and check you safe and restricted sites and know how to edit your hosts files.
    Try refreshing internet explorers settings even if you use another browser its connected to this problem . If this doesn't work try system restore to a date before you think you installed this . If not successful shop arround for a tech , compare prices you should get this done in Canada or the US for about $40.00 as a flat rate.

Good luck Bob

Thanks
    Whilst the name of the search bar may have changed (how many search bars do you have listed in Add/Remove Programs?), the method linked in Post #2 should still cover the removal of this foistware. First uninstall the software then reset the search engine settings and home page(s)in your browser(s), remove any registry entries and then scan for any further unwanted software and traces.

Further details and uninstall methods are also available from http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/programs.aspx?q=iminent

There is no need to pay to have this removed, if you can carefully follow instructions like these. There are also many excellent anti-malware forums with experts who will walk you through it and check for other infections too; Majorgeeks, BleepingComputer, TechSupportForum, Sysnative, ...

Thanks
    Here's another easy thing you can do:

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced.
    Under the Browsing section, uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions.

Lots of junk is probably attached to your Internet Explorer under the guise of "Browser Extensions" or "Browser Helper Objects (BHOs)". When I unchecked the above box, not only did I disable some adware, but also my browser got faster.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2013-08-01)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Revo Unistaller Pro and it oftens shows installed items that are not shown in the Windows Add/Remove. There is a free version you could try to use to unistall iminent. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._free_download. They also say that you can try the Pro version for free for 30 days. If you use the Pro version that gives you access to the Advanced section that will scan for leftover files.

If you have ccleaner than look in the Tools tab for the uninstall section they have and see if you see iminent.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to James S For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2013-08-01)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Success,
    I think, iminent was removed from Chrome when I finally found it under the tools; extensions tab and removed it. Some kind soul had suggested I check this (extensions) which I had skipped before when I looked at tools, thinking I was looking for an add-on.

It may be lurking but I have seen no signs of it since. BTW, I do have Malwarebytes(pro), Ccleaner, PCMatic. These did not remove the little bit of SW that put a new tab up for "Iminent loading" each time I entered Chrome. I would immediately click the x so it went away but its now reassuring that it is not there.

Thanks to all of you who so thoughtfully helped me and encouraged me.
    Paulbyr in NC