New Lounger
    Thanks

Best place to learn about forms (2002)

Where is the best place to learn about the use of and designing forms for Outlook 2002? I need to study up and learn what I can about these forms because I've got some customizing work that I want to do!

I have designed a new "Contact" form that leverages the design work on the standard Contact form. I've added several fields and labelled this new form as "Recruit Contact." I've installed it in the "Personal Forms Library", and I've also used the "Properties" menu to indicate that this is the "default" form that should be used to post new records to the Contacts file.

My problem is understanding how Outlook handles the various forms within a library. I've developed a LotusScript that reads a Lotus Notes record into memory and then calls Outlook to create a new record in the Contact file. My problem is that it calls the standard form, not the one I've modified, so a lot of data gets lost.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best place to learn about forms (2002)

In addition to what Digital Dan says, a site that covers just about everything Exchange/Outlook related is maintained by Sue Mosher, Microsoft Outlook MVP.

You can find it at: http://www.slipstick.com - check the search feature for specific information or just go to the Development site to browse around.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dan;

Thanks for the information. I went to the page you suggested, but unfortunately it seems not to work for Outlook 2002 running in Windows XP environment.

I downloaded the file they suggested, and that did nothing. I also tried to enter the VBScript they recommended, and that didn't work either.

I'll keep looking

Lounger
    Thanks

See this article at MSKB:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q201/0/87.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q201/0/87.ASP</A>

A good book for Outlook programming is Building Applications with Microsoft Outlook 2002
    By Randy Byrne

Good Luck
    Dan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Omsgclas.doc doesn't work? Check your security settings - default is high and you need medium (approve macros) or low (allow all macros).

I just tested the doc in ol2002 and winxp and it does work. i didn't try the script, but it should work as well.

New Lounger
    Thanks

MaryJ;

No, the program did not work, nor did the script.

I set my security settings to the lowest level to test this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

after opening omsgclas.doc in word, did you see the dialog box where you are asked to enter the new form name? if not, go to tools > macro and run the document_open macro. A dialog box should pop up, identical to the screen shot in the middle of the document.

if yes, do you have a custom form by the same name (as you are entering into the dialog as the new form) in your forms library?