Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Netgear router issues after Win7 to Win7 remote assistance

I have a Netgear R6300 router and have provided Windows Remote Assistance several times to a friend in CA (I am in WA state), including taking control of her computer. I have ReadyDLNA enabled on the router in order to access music on my network through my TV/stereo system. In Windows Explorer, I see ReadyDLNA: R6300 listed. Through it, or whenever using Windows Media Player 12 (Windows 7 systems at both ends), I see my friends music, videos and photos under Other Libraries, I cannot get rid of them and Netgear support can't figure it out. I made sure she turned off "Allow remote assistance" but there is no change in my ability to see her media files. Netgear has escalated the problem to Level 3 support and has been in contact with me multiple times, suggesting a number of things, deleting the db file (it rebuilds itself with the same information) performing screen capture, remotely accessing my computer - all to no avail. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you tried resetting the router to factory default settings?

NOTE: if you choose to do that I strongly recommend you write down whatever changes you've made to the configuration.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I reset it before contacting Netgear. After contacting them, both Level 1 and Level 3 support have had me reset it. Nothing changes, I still see her media files.
    Dave

Thanks
    Disconnect your router from the internet for a while, to break any connection which may be persistent.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    And can you actually access the files? Also, why are you convinced this is a router problem? It seems more a Windows problem, to me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can give that a try. How long do you recommend I leave the router disconnected?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I can't. The entire set of 2,000+ thumbnails are visible, but the files don't seem to open. There is a delay, then an error message "Media Player encountered a problem..." I apologize for the misinformation. I'm not convinced this is a router problem, nor am I convinced it is a Windows problem. While Netgear's technicians have been, at times, less than helpful, they have not indicated that it is not a router problem. I have searched the web repeatedly, using a variety of phrasing in ways that I thought would lead to either a router or Windows solution but I have been unable to find an answer no matter how I tried it. I came to this forum as pretty much a last resort.

Administrator
    Thanks
    As I said before, I think it's a Windows issue. The OS obtained the info during the time you were connected to the other computer and is keeping it somewhere (don't really know why). I understand it is annoying, but I would offer it's a minor inconvenience. Also, your friend's files are safe.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I have disconnected the router from the internet, overnight, I can not only see the thumbnails but I can also open each of them in the media player slideshow. I couldn't do that before. To others, this may be only an annoyance. To me, I find it unacceptable that I should be able to view and/or open someone else's media files - someone who lives 1,200 miles from me. If there is a solution, perhaps someone on the forum can point me to it. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I believe that your Windows Media Player is set to copy files locally that it discovers.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    You only have access to the thumbnails, right?. There were copied, surely for performance reasons. You have been connected to your friend's computer, it's not like you were not authorized to access it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quite confusing!

JoeP517 - no, my Windows Media Player 12 is set to manage only the local music library and has never been set to do any more than that.

ruirib - no, now I also am able to open the files through the media player slideshow, in addition to the thumbnails. I cannot believe my friend's files were copied to my media player library for "performance reasons." And yes, I was in fact authorized access to it but none of the resultant access through media player makes any sense. I never went "near" her pictures, videos or anything remotely related to those. I merely helped her with her problems, none of which were relative to media files of any kind.

Administrator
    Thanks
    So, what files exactly are we talking about? All her videos, music files and pictures?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you disconnected from the internet and can still access the files then they must be on your PC. You should double check your WMP settings.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib - as I stated when I began this thread, I see my friends music, videos and photos under Other Libraries.
    JoeP517 - as a result of your last comments, I first attempted a search of my entire computer for several of my friends files. None were found. I have to ask, however, just what WMP settings am I supposed to check? I have already said that Windows Media Player 12 is set to manage only the local music library and has never been set to do any more than that. I have looked everywhere within WMP and cannot find any other settings that would indicate it is monitoring the ReadyDLNA: 6300.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast