New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help backing up my system to portable hard drive...

I am running a Windows 8, 64 bit system and need help to backup onto an Iomega portable hard drive. Can I set Win 8 to do this automatically...if so how can a willing but technically-inept senior manage this task....? Thanks .
    Last edited by Lord Pongo; 2013-03-08 at 15:50.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    goto the control panel, scheduled tasks, and go thru the wizard (there is a backup procedure) in that wizard
    i'm not on win8 so i can't tell you how to get to the control panel.

the easy way is go thru the help section

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley For This Useful Post:

Lord Pongo (2013-03-08)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Hi,

That really depends on what you want to do. For automatic backup of your documents, music and pictures (out of the box) or other libraries that you want to create, you can use Windows 8 File History. There is a nice article by Paul Thurrott explaining the feature:

http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...history-142602

This will save all files contained in libraries (documents, music and pictures are automatically part of libraries). If you want more than this, you can also use the "Windows 7" backup feature, to create full images of your system. It seems (I don't use either), that you can't use this one and file history at the same time. If you want full system backups and a bit more reliable way to do it, you may want to look at 3rd party apps, such as Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect Free. These will let you use File History too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Lord Pongo (2013-03-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply...and your help is appreciated...and it worked...Why didn't I think of that...the whole point of Win 8 seems to be "ask the question" of "help" and we all go on a ride to the appropriate section of the system...and a few clicks and we are done. Done the back-up exactly as needed....Thanks...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Your help with my problem has opened my eyes to all the possible ways that one can use Win 8...I backed up the files and used the free Macrium program and now I am covered with a safety net for disasters that always seem to hit me...Thanks for all the great help...

Thanks
    Don't forget about creating that Macrium bootdisk in the event you have one of those failures.
    When you are unable to boot into Windows you will really need it then.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pongo View Post
    Your help with my problem has opened my eyes to all the possible ways that one can use Win 8...I backed up the files and used the free Macrium program and now I am covered with a safety net for disasters that always seem to hit me...Thanks for all the great help...
    I am glad I could help .