New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy and backup software

Subject: Copy software able to do full copy with differential/incremental copy to NAS drive.
    I'm looking for software that will copy my documents/scans/pictures/etc. from my main hard drive to my NAS device, and then be able to keep both drives in sync by determining which files on my main hard drive have been modified/added and will then make the same modifications/adds to my NAS drive. I'm not looking for a 'backup' solution that encrypts my NAS, but rather keep an exact copy of my main hard drive on my NAS because I access my NAS remotely when traveling. I know there are backup solutions that do this, but they also encrypt and don't do plain copy AND differential copy, etc. Can you help?
    Thank you,
    Keith

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Keith,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster!

I would recommend RoboCopy, free from Microsoft, to do the job. I use it to echo my Documents directory to a second hard drive with the following batch command.
    Code:
    Echo Off
    REM  Updated: 10/27/10
    Echo.  -------- Copying MY Docs to V: drive -------
    Robocopy "G:\BEKDocs" "V:\BEKDocs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG:RoboCopy.log 
    Echo.  -------- Copy Completed              -------
    I run this just before I shutdown every night before shutting down and whenever I've just completed some major work or do finances. It will only copy the changed files and although I usually only go one way it is setup to actually sync the files.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

kwvsp (2013-03-08)

Thanks
    Welcome, Keith!

I use Memeo auto backup. It does very similar to what you have specified. You specify certain folders that you want to keep backed up. It does an initial backup, and then if any changes occur to the contents of any of the specified folders, a backup is done to the external drive (or wherever you specify). You can keep up to five versions of each file, although that would take a lot of space on your external drive. And the files are not encrypted; you can access them using Windows Explorer or any other such program.

The name has changed on the program we have; I believe it is now called Memeo Premium Backup.

If, however, you'd rather just backup everything, then Memeo Instant Backup sounds like what you'd want, because it doesn't allow you to specify specific folders; rather it keeps the entire drive backed up.

I prefer the Premium version, because there are only certain files I need continually backed up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

kwvsp (2013-03-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RG-Thank you for your quick reply! I will look into RoboCopy this weekend.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your quick response! I will look into Memeo this weekend.
    Keith

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Syncback free, sounds like all you need is scheduled synchronization, you'd need to try the SE version for incremental and differential.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

kwvsp (2013-03-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the Syncback options. I'll look into that this weekend as well. I would like incremental and differential, so it looks like I'd need to purchase the SE version if I choose Syncback.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Understood, I have so darn much data (most of which I'll never access again!) that I stopped worrying about versioning and daily or weekly full backups and just went with simple continuous synchronization of files with changes. I haven't made a mistake of saving a file that I wanted to retrieve an older version of...yet (knock on wood). I have a home made way of versioning if I ever suspect I want an older version, I just rename the file with a letter suffix (a,b,c...etc.) and save that. Works well and eliminates the hassle of intermediate backup stages.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-03-08 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Lots of options here too, I use Dsychronize Portable. Its freeware written by Dimio.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    I use the open source program Free File Sync from sourceforge. It allows settings for mirroring a folder tree (backup), updating changes (synching) or creating your custom choice. It also allows you to create predefined sets of folders to sync (in batch mode without seeing all the changes that will be made).

I like to see what changes are going to be made, so I use a list of folders in the dropdown lists and update them one at a time. It only takes a few minutes and I am reassured about what is being changed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using SecondCopy for many years.

It is the easiest to learn and (wizards walk you through) and least intrusive backup software I've used - since 1987. It has won Software of the Year several times.

It does everything you can want, the way you want it done, easily and quickly, and it stays out of your way.

One of the biggest advantages is that it is a small outfit. If you email them with a question, you get a prompt, clear reply from the owner, who also is the programmer. Small but they are here to stay.

It cost me $29.95 years ago, and it is still $29.95. A bargain.

The web page is at: centered dot com