Lounger
    Thanks

Various questions about Word 2010

1. How do I put an entry in my index that refers to another entry? For example, in the entry "animals" I want, in addition to the normal list of page numbers where "animals" appears, for there to be something like "see mammals."

2. (Annoyance) Is there a way, when you close a docx, when the next time you open it, it will have the same window size and position?

3. When you close Find mode (the pane on the left side) for the Word window to return to its normal width?

4. (Major annoyance) Is there a way in Paragraph to make the default value of "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" ALWAYS FALSE?

5. (Huge annoyance) When the Paragraph sign (which makes fields visible or not) is ON, the page number for a given piece of text is different from the page number of that piece of text when the Paragraph sign is OFF. This means that if it's ON and I want to jump to a certain page number, I have to turn it OFF, then goto, then turn it ON again. This makes it very inconvenient to edit fields.

6. If you are near the end of a big document, the vertical scroll bar shows almost no space between the movable stripe or button and the end at the bottom. This means the only way to move further toward the document end is to use the down arrow, which is very slow. Is there a way around this?

7. I often want to find certain short bits of text but only in fields. Can this be done short of writing my own macro?

I've been looking for answers here and there for quite a while and I will deeply appreciate answers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you will need to take up issues 1 through 4 with Microsoft.

You can probably address issue 4 most easily by editing the built-in styles in your NORMAL.DOTX.

Issue 6 is true in most any Windows text editor. Get used to it.

I believe that issue 7 will require a fairly advanced macro to search the Fields collection and interrogate the properties of each Field.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mr. Bip,

For #6 you can use your mouse wheel to scroll the document. Pull the wheel toward your wrist to move toward the bottom of the document and away from your wrist to move toward the top of the document. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For point 1, go to References > Index Group > Mark Entry and in the Mark Index Entry dialog put 'animals' in the Main Entry field and select the Cross-reference option and type in 'See mammals' and then click Mark.

For point 2, I think that the last used window position is remembered on an application basis not on a document basis. For me, when I put a Word window in a particular position and then exit Word, this position is remembered when I next open Word irrespective of which Word document I open.

For point 3, on my machine, opening or closing the navigation pane on the side of the window doesn't change the width of the window. It might change the zoom percentage of the page width inside the window if the zoom is set to page width but this bounces back happily when the nav pane closes.

Point 4 - You will need to run a macro to adjust every paragraph style since this setting is contained in every style and (thankfully) I don't know of a global option which overrides this. Two document layout options which DO exist and have a material effect on paragraph spacing are:
    - 'Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing' => This setting toggles the paragraph spacing between a) adding the relevant space after and space before settings b) us using the greater of space after/space before.
    - 'Allow space between paragraphs of the same style in a table

Point 5 - Word paginates according to what you are showing. If you are toggling between field results and field codes then I would expect pagination would be affected

Point 6 - Roll the mouse wheel to scroll the document instead of having to move over to the scroll bar - it is much faster. If you are using a touchpad and don't have a mouse wheel then perhaps your touchpad settings are configured to use a two-finger drag to scroll the document.

Point 7 - As far as I know, you need a macro
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    for #1: Cross-Referencing Index Entries: Wyatt’s instructions are helpful but not sufficient for multiple indexes. In the main text, select animals and as usual do References > Index > Mark Entry. This puts {XE "animals"} right after the selected text. If you want the animals entry to appear in the index “A,” manually modify the XE field to {XE \f "A" "animals" \t "see also dogs"}. When you create a new “A” index, the list of entries for animals will begin with "animals. also see dogs" followed by the normal entries.

for #6: Someone pointed out the mouse scroll bar, which I had forgotten.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Andrew - I see no way to tell Word or Windows to use the most recent window settings. (I'm using Windows 7 and Office 2010.) How did you get the system to do that?

Steve