5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics & Roxio Secure Burn questions

I have been checking out Windows 8 computers on line
    --- One of the computers that is in my prices range is an HP Pavilion p7-1520t Desktop PC Windows 8 64-bit at http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...20t-Desktop-PC
    I'm already up to 727.00 not including shipping yet but that's ok

I need help on figuring out how my monitor will work on this computer
    --- I know I can call sales once I decide which computer I'm going to buy but I'd like to have a heads up on how to discuss my monitor to computer connections so I don't spend a more than I have to
    --- I believe my graphics needs are pretty simple right now but eventually I will be uploading pictures from a digital camera or camcorder

Anyway the computer comes with Integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics [DVI-I & DVI-D, DX 10.1]
    --- I have a very simple NuTech QL711V [Monitor] (17.1"vis) with VGA connector only
    --- The VGA cable isn’t removable from the monitor
    --- Unfortunately I can’t tell whether or not this computer has a VGA connector on the back of it
    ------ Does this mean I have to get another monitor for this computer or is there an adapter I can use for my monitor to be used on this computer?
    --- There is a 512MB AMD Radeon HD 7350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter] I can upgrade to but I still don’t know how the VGA adapter would accommodate my monitor

Last but not least there is Roxio Secure Burn available. Is this worth getting?

Thanks
    Consider getting a new monitor or a computer with a graphics card.
    Integrated graphics are fine for laptops and portable devices but I suspect you'll be left for want on a desktop computer.
    Get a graphics card, even if it's an aftermarket product. But from the HP site it looks like you'll have several "add on" choices.
    As it stands from the specs, the integrated graphics does not have a VGA connection, that'll mean an adapter, which can be a hit or mis thing.

Graphics

•Integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics [DVI-I & DVI-D, DX 10.1]
    •512MB AMD Radeon HD 7350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
    •1GB AMD Radeon HD 7450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
    •1GB Nvidia GeForce GT620 [DVI, HDMI, VGA via Adapter]
    •2GB AMD Radeon HD 7570 [ DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA adapter]
    •2GB Nvidia GeForce GT630 [DVI, HDMI and VGA via adapter]

Last but not least there is Roxio Secure Burn available. Is this worth getting?
    Probably not, unless you are familiar and comfortable with using Roxio's software.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-03-08)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Secure burn is small part of Roxio software for encrypting data burned to discs, usually part of a much larger suite that does more. If you have no need for protecting data burned to discs, any number of worthy disc-burning programs are available for free so if its an extra charge leave it off the shopping list.

I think a larger, widescreen monitor is a worthy upgrade since that's the main interface you are always looking at. DVI-I type connectors can be used with a VGA adapter. DVI-D only cannot be used with a VGA adapter because the D stands for digital and VGA adapters are analog. I stands for integrated which supports both digital and analog and by the specs provided, even though it doesn't explicitly state DVI-I, they all must be to support a VGA adapter. The last three are more for gaming type performance, the second and third options would support HD video editing and any non-high end gaming and the integrated would be fine for everyday display graphics on one small (these days) screen, everything except gaming and HD video editing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-03-08)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. At least I have a better understanding of what I'm looking for