3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VB, Shapes on Chart (2000 SR1)

Hi Folks,

A couple questions: The Controls toolbar is all grayed-out, except the Design Mode and Properties buttons, when the active sheet is a Chart. This means, I can't put an ActiveX label on a chart. Is there something I'm missing here?

Meanwhile: I put a label from the Forms toolbar on instead. I tried to change the text via VB code, but that only works if it is selected (through code) first. For example:

<pre>Charts("Chart1").Activate
    Charts("Chart1").Shapes("Label 1").Characters.Text = "Howdy"
    </pre>

does not work ("Object does not support this property or method"), but this does:

<pre>Charts("Chart1").Activate
    Charts("Chart1").Shapes("Label 1").Select
    Selection.Characters.Text = "Howdy"
    </pre>

However, after running this code, the label is selected. Is it possible to de-select it without explicitly selecting some other select-able object? For example, I can click with my mouse on the area between the Chart Area and the edge of the Excel window, the label will no longer be selected and nothing else will be selected in its place. However, such an action is not captured when recording. The best I can do is select something less obvious, like the Chart Area:

<pre>.ChartArea.Select
    </pre>

Any suggestions? Thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB, Shapes on Chart (2000 SR1)

I can only confirm all your statements, based on my experience with shapes on charts. Maybe one small thing to add: if you press ctrl and then select the chart with the mouse, the squares on the chart border are open squares. Then you can select the upper left textbox to change the charts name, which is handy if you want to refer to the chart using its name in VBA. Or you can select the chart and run the following VBA statement to change the chart's name:

ActiveSheet.Shapes(ActiveChart.Parent.Name).Name = "MyChart"