Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding a file to the task bar in Win 7

Is there a way to add a file (not an application) to the Win 7 Taskbar? Specifically, I'd like to add a shortcut to a Microsoft Word file, but when I do this, only the main Microsoft Word program opens, not the specific file that I want to open. If not, can I add a shortcut to this file to the Start menu? It appears that only apps can be pinned to the start menu.

I sure miss the XP Taskbar.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried the jumplist approach to see if that's adequate. If you pin Word to the start menu and opened a file or two and saved them (or maybe it works right away), you'll get a little carrot next to Word and if you are always opening the same file it should always appear in the list that the carrot reveals (jumplist). You can also pin Word to the taskbar but then you need to right click on the pinned icon to reveal the jumplist.

Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for replying.

F.U.N., I wasn't looking for a jumplist. I can essentially get the same results by dragging the word file to the task bar. This then opens as word, and I can open my file from that.

jwitalka, the link you provided did work, but it took an unacceptably long time for the file to open when I created the link (about 10 seconds). I can access the file through word much quicker than that, so I don't think I'll use a Taskbar link after all.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What you describe isn't quite how a jumplist should be working. It should be one click and both your file and Word open at the same time. I use it extensively for remote desktop and it cuts 4 clicks (not to mention seek time) off the route. Your file, once opened and on the list should equally be a one click operation. You can also expand the recent file jumplist to include 20 or more files. The only way it doesn't work is if one is opening a large number of files with the same program and they get pushed off the list or you are using many different programs for the same file and it doesn't make too much sense to have each program pinned just to have one target file in each jumplist.

jumplist.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N., I stand corrected. In fact, I already had Microsoft Word (as well as Excel) pinned to the start menu, and each had the little arrow next to it. When I mouse over Word in the start menu, it does indeed show the file that I want. But ONLY that file, no others (even though I have opened, created, saved other Word files). This leads me to believe that I somehow intentionally pinned that file to the Word in the start menu, creating a jumplist, but I don't know (or remember) how I did it. Same thing for a single Excel file that I wanted quick access to.

There must be a way of intentionally adding jumplist files, and I must have done that. But I don't remember how.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Once a file is in the list you can right click on it and pin it to the list so its always there; or remove a file from the list. Perhaps you did the former at some point. I don't know why it wouldn't add more files as you opened, worked with and saved them again, unless the limit for files in the list was set to one (with one already pinned to the list).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N., I can't explain it either, but there are some other strange things going on that I have to look into. For one thing, my Recent items in the start menu doesn't ever show any. Also, I was under the impression that Win 7 is automatically supposed to create a restore point every 24 hours. It's not doing that. Either I don't understand how these things work on Win 7, or there's something that needs to be corrected (probably both). Perhaps these are items for a new thread, but not until I've tried to work my way through it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Also, I was under the impression that Win 7 is automatically supposed to create a restore point every 24 hours. It's not doing that. Either I don't understand how these things work on Win 7, or there's something that needs to be corrected (probably both).
    System Restore in Windows 7 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days.
    System Restore in Windows Vista creates a checkpoint every 24 hours if no other restore points were created that day.
    System Restore in Windows XP creates a checkpoint every 24 hours of absolute time.
    Restore Points (Windows)
    System Restore (section Restore points)

Bruce

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, thanks for the clarification and the helpful links. It seems that my System Restore MIGHT be functioning properly. I say "might be" because after running a my usual weekly scans (Avast virus scan, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and TDSS rootkit removing tool), all my restore points disappeared. Further testing is necessary to ascertain whether things are or aren't working properly.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Once a file is in the list you can right click on it and pin it to the list so its always there; or remove a file from the list. Perhaps you did the former at some point. I don't know why it wouldn't add more files as you opened, worked with and saved them again, unless the limit for files in the list was set to one (with one already pinned to the list).
    Sorry to hijack this thread but how do you set up the jump lists re number to list etc?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread but how do you set up the jump lists re number to list etc?
    See Take full advantage of Jump Lists in Windows 7 with these tips.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, that was an informative link. Thanks.
    In the link, the author shows how to change the number of recent items to display in the jump lists and the number of recent programs to display in the Start menu by changing the numbers under Start menu size at the bottom of the customize window. However, these adjustments are set at zero and grayed out on my computer, preventing me from changing them. Do you know why this is, and how I can fix this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My only guess is that on the same screen where the customize button is for the start menu there is a privacy section. If those two items are unchecked maybe that's why the set number is grayed out.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N., that was it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast