Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Star Dock ModernMix

This looks interesting

http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03...aves_windows8/

Has anyone tried this?

I don't have Windows 8 installed anywhere anymore, but if I did, I think I would give this a try.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My copy is on life support too even though I have ModMix and Start8 Prescott; I need to find some good use for going through all the extra rigmarole!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I don't understand this refrain of "extra" this or "extra" that. I've got my start screen arranged so that the programs I use most frequently are positioned so I don't have to scroll for those. One click and a program will start. I can get straight to the desktop from the start screen just by pressing "Enter". How is this any more effort than all the effort I've seen about customizing Windows 8 to act like Windows 7? I've gotten accustomed to my system booting faster (on the infrequent times I need to boot). I've learned the new keystrokes to make life easier. In the desktop environment I've pinned my most frequently used programs to the taskbar. I've added a very few shortcuts to the desktop. I've gotten to the point that when I use a Windows 7 machine I really don't like the start menu.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand this refrain of "extra" this or "extra" that.
    Joe,

This is very different to the various utilities which boot Win8 in desktop mode, restore the start button and disable the charm icons. This one runs Metro apps on the desktop in windows complete with minimise, maximise and close buttons.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe not such a great idea though...unless I run them essentially as desktop gadgets or other strict consumer-oriented purposes, they seem all but useless since I can't really use them on a XP and NAS mixed home network...at least I can't figure out how. I mean, I can figure out how but I'm not going to contort the rest of the network to comply with those kinds of restrictions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I don't understand this refrain of "extra" this or "extra" that. I've got my start screen arranged so that the programs I use most frequently are positioned so I don't have to scroll for those. One click and a program will start. I can get straight to the desktop from the start screen just by pressing "Enter". How is this any more effort than all the effort I've seen about customizing Windows 8 to act like Windows 7? I've gotten accustomed to my system booting faster (on the infrequent times I need to boot). I've learned the new keystrokes to make life easier. In the desktop environment I've pinned my most frequently used programs to the taskbar. I've added a very few shortcuts to the desktop. I've gotten to the point that when I use a Windows 7 machine I really don't like the start menu.

Joe
    Joe, more power to you running this way. Personally I still like Classic shell because it gives me one click access to a global search of Apps and Control applets, a control panel flyout for the rare occasions I have to hunt for a control applet, and the ability to disable those annoying (to me at least) hot spots. But we both have what we want. But as john said, we're straying from the original topic. No sense starting another war on the right way to use Windows 8. There is no single right way, just user options.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    Joe,

This is very different to the various utilities which boot Win8 in desktop mode, restore the start button and disable the charm icons. This one runs Metro apps on the desktop in windows complete with minimise, maximise and close buttons.
    I understand what the program does. I was responding to FUN's post #3.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya I like having everything in one place including metro apps that can't justify full or two thirds of a large screen. It was more the hour or two I spent trying to get a metro app to work with a non-homegroup network. Got so close with a symbolic library link; except the file won't actually display; and if it had worked, the idea of setting up symbolic links for all the network locations I wanted to access left me nonplussed to say the least, especially when its so simple otherwise. If that's the future of Windows....oh boy.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Less Stress And Less Senior Moments With Stardock Programs

Stardock's two programs, Start8 and Modernmix, help older users moving from XP, Vista, or Windows 7 to Windows 8 with the "learning curve".At our computer club, we have assisted several seniors who bought new laptops or desktops with Windows 8 installed. Generally, these are light-duty users who use their computers for email, internet browsing, word processing, etc. The Stardock programs and others mentioned in this forum permit an easy entry into the Windows 8 world. These new users do not feel overwhelmed (frustrated) and that allows them to adapt to Windows 8 at their pace. I rather like Start8 and Modernmix myself, especially the ability to pin my favorite Metro apps to the desktop taskbar.

Rich

Thanks
    I haven't even looked at Modernmix. I have my PC set up the way it works best for me. Many of the discussion we see here are ardent people on one side trying to convince ardent people on the other side of a "better way of doing it". There IS NO better way of doing it if what you have set up works best for you.

I have tried various different ways of doing things, tried different apps, different browsers, etc., etc., etc. Know what, my PC is now set up exactly as it was with Win 7. It looks and feels the same as it did. This is what I like, so this works best for me.

If someone asks me to set up a PC for them, then I will set it up the way mine is set up, and I will point them to info that will show other ways of doing things and let them decide for themselves what works best for them.

If I read about something new, perhaps I will try it, and perhaps not. If I decide to try something new, I will be damn sure I have an up to date image to get my system back to what I like if things go terribly wrong. After all, nothing works for every system out there.

I guess my parting thought is that please let's not let this discussion drop back to the same old pro / con discussion we have seen repeatedly throughout these forums. We just do not need that again!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Getting back to the original subject, I installed a trial version of Modernmix but don't think I'll keep it. It seems to work as advertised but the only apps I found interesting were a couple of games and I can easily visit Metroland when I want to use them.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I haven't even looked at Modernmix. I have my PC set up the way it works best for me. Many of the discussion we see here are ardent people on one side trying to convince ardent people on the other side of a "better way of doing it". There IS NO better way of doing it if what you have set up works best for you.

I have tried various different ways of doing things, tried different apps, different browsers, etc., etc., etc. Know what, my PC is now set up exactly as it was with Win 7. It looks and feels the same as it did. This is what I like, so this works best for me.

If someone asks me to set up a PC for them, then I will set it up the way mine is set up, and I will point them to info that will show other ways of doing things and let them decide for themselves what works best for them.

If I read about something new, perhaps I will try it, and perhaps not. If I decide to try something new, I will be damn sure I have an up to date image to get my system back to what I like if things go terribly wrong. After all, nothing works for every system out there.

I guess my parting thought is that please let's not let this discussion drop back to the same old pro / con discussion we have seen repeatedly throughout these forums. We just do not need that again!
    Then the moderators and administrators should stop trying to steer us in that direction!!

I've only been talking about functionality and bending over backwards trying to get some things to work, having some success but having more unsuccessful endeavors because I keep trying to figure out how this will ever work if the desktop vanishes completely. Sure, it would be a lot easier if I could just ignore that half of Windows 8, but I want to know, what is it good for in a home desktop environment and is it usable in lieu of a desktop? So far I can't even open data files on a NAS using a standard file system and I know that if I can't find solutions to these problems, the only way I can ignore the lumps in my porridge is to pull the plug.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Then the moderators and administrators should stop trying to steer us in that direction!!

I've only been talking about functionality and bending over backwards trying to get some things to work, having some success but having more unsuccessful endeavors because I keep trying to figure out how this will ever work if the desktop vanishes completely. Sure, it would be a lot easier if I could just ignore that half of Windows 8, but I want to know, what is it good for in a home desktop environment and is it usable in lieu of a desktop? So far I can't even open data files on a NAS using a standard file system and I know that if I can't find solutions to these problems, the only way I can ignore the lumps in my porridge is to pull the plug.
    Although some visionaries have already proclaimed the death of the desktop, I seriously doubt that will happen, at least in any realistic calendar. I would think Metro is more likely to go the way of the dodo than the desktop. Metro is very incipient and it will need some iterations to become a full usable interface paradigm on the pc side (Metro on the phone is an altogether different and more mature thing).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Windows 8 installed anywhere anymore, so I installed the free trial of ModernMix on Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation. The problem is that I didn't identify an app that opened in the Metro Window before I installed ModernMix, and now I don't know what app I can use to test it. Now of course everything opens in a window on the desktop.

Is anybody here using Windows Server 2012, and can you recommend an app to test ModernMix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast