Thanks

And now Windows 8

I've put away my axe, carving knife, scissors, stapler and duct tape. Windows 8 is now put together the way I want it. The Windows folder is on its own partition, both Program Files folders are on another partition on a separate hard drive, and the Users and ProgramData folders share another partition.

I'm still crash-testing, but so far, so good. Updates work, my programs and utilities work. I've got it in pretty much the same condition that I've had Windows 7 running in for almost three years now, and Windows 7 hasn't given me any grief.

This makes my regimen of drive imaging simpler and easier, and that means more frequent for me.

<<--edit-- I realized a few minutes ago that I had not checked the App side of things. I haven't seen any Apps of any interest to me at all, and so I don't use it at all. I have checked out the desktop side of things fairly thoroughly, and everything works as expected, but haven't even visited the Apps side of things.

The only App that actually works (and these are just those that came pre-installed in Windows 8 - I haven't downloaded a thing) is the Desktop App. It does take me right back to the Desktop. The others do their flip to full screen, pause, then fade back to App Screen size, and that's it - ffffttt.

And that's fine with me, but it may give some pause in considering splitting up Windows 8 the way I do. I'm using StartIsBack, and everything that I install goes to the Start Menu (and shortcuts on the desktop, if I so choose) and nothing at all gets installed to the Start Screen. For me, this is Windows 7 Service Pack 2, and I'm fine with that. But if you like the Apps and want to use them, then my method isn't for you. For the time being, I don't have any intention of trying to make the Start Screen work, for obvious reasons. --edit-->>
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-09 at 15:59. Reason: additional (maybe crucial for some) information
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2013-03-09)

Thanks
    This is just a bump - I've edited the original post.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I've had an epiphany. The Apps may not be too difficult to re-enable, after all. I've got IE 10 working on the App Screen. I'll investigate further.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    If you want to make your apps work, you might want to try the apps trouble shooter link at the bottom of this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/w...t-problems-app

I've tried a few of the apps and the only ones I use are the Microsoft games app to replace solitaire and Minesweeper and the Wordament game. I tried the Netflix app but I prefer the Netflix webpage over the app.

Jerry

Thanks
    Hi Jerry,
    Thanks for the input, but if you re-read the first post, I'm having to hoe my own corn on this one. I've moved WindowsApps back to the C drive, and also ProgramData, and that has most of them working again, but the Store App still isn't working. I'll tinker with it some more.

I'm not really doing this for me, since I don't use any of the Apps anyway, but some of the folks that visit my web site and carve Windows up the way I do may want to use some of the Apps.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Ok. Looks like Windows 8 is particular where it wants the Windows apps and program data folders to reside but it sounds like you have a handle on it. I wonder if there's a registry entry or two that covers this.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I wonder if there's a registry entry or two that covers this.

Jerry
    Yes, several; still tinkerin'.

Unleash Windows