New Lounger
    Thanks

Installation of Windows Server 2008 R2

Hello community!

I am seeking assistance to help me understand servers better, strictly for future use and knowledge purposes.
    In this case I am using a desktop for now, and everything seems functional after installation besides the face that
    the Ethernet only gives me "Local only".

What I plan to do with this server is to create users/ desktops & laptops to be able to access and run from a Domain.
    For example, instead of making user accounts on every windows 7 laptop and desktop they could remote connect to the
    server with their user log in to the server domain.

I strictly need guidelines, as the videos on YouTube vary, and need a thorough lead on what steps to take. I have Linux,
    Unix, and regular Windows edition experience. None with servers, so hopefully I could pass on support here too someday.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read.
    Last edited by Jistropy; 2013-03-08 at 19:03.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you need detailed guidelines on various roles & features offered by a Server 2008, and how to use them, some of the best place to start are looking at MS Knowledge Base & MS TechNet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jistopy
    Good luck with the learning.
    The best way is to get in there are start using the stuff.
    Sounds like you want to do Windows Server so download a trial copy from Microsoft here: Server2012
    If you can I'd try and virtualise the servers so you can save a snaphot, mess around and then revert back. It also means you can have more than one if your hardware is strong enough. (We've used VMWare and Hyper-V).
    This may help give you a bit of background, if a little out of date: implementing windows servers.

Hope this all helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    What you describe is called Active Directory. It is complex and daunting, but you can get it up and running fairly easily. Look at Windows small business server as an example.

cheers, Paul