Thanks

Gmail notification?

At a recent computer club board meeting a member spoke up and said that she received an e-mail from Gmail telling her that she needed to reset her password because it appeared her e-mail had been hacked. She went on and on about how nice that was of Google, and that is why she pushed Gmail so much. Now I for one don't buy that e-mail for one second. Am I wrong, or will Google send you an e-mail with that information?
    I sat there and said nothing, because I don't know anything about Gmail, but in all the years I've had MSFT accounts I have never seen or heard anything like that?
    So is it true, or is it an attempt to get her password?

Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It's really hard to know whether that is a legitimate email or not. Although it may seem it is a bogus warning, without knowing the link used to reset the password, a definitive opinion cannot be given.

Google introduced a suspicious activity warning to Gmail, back in 2010: http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news...-accounts-6081

Thanks
    Thanks ruirib always nice to learn something new.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Never click on a link in an Email that can ask for personal information. In this case, login to Gmail yourself and change your password.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I had some interesting experience with this so I'll shed some more light on it:

It's indeed true that Google/Gmail will notify you of suspicious behavior or actions regarding your email account.
    In cases like that you're addressed by your real name and the email can easily be identified to originate from Google.

Yahoo does exactly the same. Within minutes of the occurrence you'll get the notification.

Besides ,it's not hard to determine what the source of the email is by just examining the IP numbers in the full header.

I was notified 3 times ,so I know from personal experience.

In one instance login was prevented (email confirmed it) because I used a anonymisation service to log in to my account.
    Since this service was located in another country ,login was prevented and a notification was sent.
    The other 2 instances were because I used proxy addresses and then tried to log in to my account.
    In a sense similar to the 1st instance ,but the proxies were in the US.
    I was allowed access ,but got the notifications nonetheless.

In all 3 instances I had to reply and assure them it was me ,by approving the logins
    and telling them that the different IP addresses were known to me.
    (Obviously I had to do this from my regular computer not using any proxies)

Yahoo notified a friend of mine regarding a suspicious login from the Far East - this was a true breach and the account got hacked.
    Looking at the difference, it seems that Gmail is safer ,since it stopped the login from a different country,
    whereas Yahoo didn't. However ,they did notify the account holder.

Hope that answers the OP's original question and concerns.
    Last edited by DiggerP; 2013-03-14 at 10:56.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Microsoft hotmail.co.uk account (converted to an Outlook.com account that retains the hotmail.co.uk email address) has also required me to reset my password a few times. Anyone or any computer that attempts to log on to it over three times causes this. You have to go to the alternative email address that you supplied that makes resetting the password possible from a message sent to it. With Google this could also be an attempt to get you to supply a mobile telephone number. My wife has a gmail account, which is constantly asking her to provide a mobile phone number in order to be able to reset the account should the password be forgotten. She provided an alternative email address many years ago, so chooses not to give her mobile number to Google, due to the fact that Google respects no one's privacy in its drive to deliver customized ads.

If you get an email asking you to reset your account, don't use it to do the resetting, visit your email account to find out if your email address and password works. If not then use the feature provided that sends a resetting email to your alternative email address. I would never give my phone number to Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.