Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    IE 9 and Yahoo not playing well on one computer

    I am mystified by this situation. I just got a new HP ProBook with W7 Pro. It has IE 9.0.

    I have another W7 computer (W7 Home) with IE 9.0 and a few XP computers.

    On my new one, when I use IE to connect to yahoo.com or my Yahoo mail, I get terrible popups that start at the top of my screen and kind of spread out slowly. These ads are a royal pain and they seem to last for a long time. This does not happen when I use Google Chrome as my browser and it does not happen with my other computers that use IE. I checked and my pop-up blocker seems to be on.

    Now, I will probably just use Chrome, but can someone help me solve the mystery as to why this is happening and maybe provide a fix?

    Mel

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,625
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 932 Times in 853 Posts
    Be sure the Pop-Up blocker is set to on. Internet Options, Privacy tab, check mark in Pop-Up Blocker.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It is checked

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    ISSUE SOLVED.

    I checked installed programs via Control Panel. I found about a half dozen adware type programs! There was pricepeep and the rest I can't even remember I am surprised a scan with Malwarebytes previously failed to turn these up. Anyway, I deleted all of those and that took care of the problem. I just got this computer 2 days ago. Looking at the dates of the stuff I deleted, they all got installed at the time I installed Belarc Advisor, one of my more useful programs. Obviously, the crap got installed at the same time. I also d/l ccleaner, another of my favorites and it cleared out some remaining stuff, especially some registry items.

    Mel

  5. #5
    Lounge VIP bobprimak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hinsdale, IL, USA
    Posts
    2,327
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 117 Times in 100 Posts
    I would also run SuperAntispyware Free Edition, and then install Abine DoNotTrackMe into IE 9 as an add-on. This will prevent many Tracking Cookies, which are a form of adware not often flagged by anti-spyware programs.

    When downloading and installing free programs, always check each installation screen carefully for unwanted "piggyback" adware programs. Almost all installers these days try to install something extra, and it's usually adware, which earns the vendor money and supports free software projects, but can cause major hassles for unwary end users.
    -- Bob Primak --

  6. #6
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,865
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 556 Times in 504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    ISSUE SOLVED.

    I checked installed programs via Control Panel. I found about a half dozen adware type programs! There was pricepeep and the rest I can't even remember I am surprised a scan with Malwarebytes previously failed to turn these up. Anyway, I deleted all of those and that took care of the problem. I just got this computer 2 days ago. Looking at the dates of the stuff I deleted, they all got installed at the time I installed Belarc Advisor, one of my more useful programs. Obviously, the crap got installed at the same time. I also d/l ccleaner, another of my favorites and it cleared out some remaining stuff, especially some registry items.

    Mel
    No one anti virus or anti malware program catches everything although Malwarebytes is one of the better ones. Super Anti Spyware as Bob suggested is a good supliment to Mawarebytes. It has more of a focus on adware.

    Jerry

  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks.
    As I said, eliminating those programs totally eliminated the problem.

    But I might try the programs mentione

  8. #8
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    I would also run SuperAntispyware Free Edition, and then install Abine DoNotTrackMe into IE 9 as an add-on. This will prevent many Tracking Cookies, which are a form of adware not often flagged by anti-spyware programs.

    When downloading and installing free programs, always check each installation screen carefully for unwanted "piggyback" adware programs. Almost all installers these days try to install something extra, and it's usually adware, which earns the vendor money and supports free software projects, but can cause major hassles for unwary end users.
    Got a follow-up question (although it is a non-issue since I got rid of those garbage programs that somehow got installed).
    Anyway, I ran Norton and then Malwarebytes and got rid of a bunch of tracking cookies. I then d/l Super Spyware and it found about 280 more tracking files and I got rid of those.

    I now added the Do Not Track Me program. Does this mean that later on when I run MalwareBytes and SuperSpyware there will be far less tracking cookies/programs??

    Mel

  9. #9
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    About Super anti Spyware

    I now have 2 questions about this product:

    1) When I boot my computer, I see this program also boots up. Why? What does it do that it needs to stay resident. I mean I can run the program and do a scan. But other than that, does it also stay on watch for spyware just like my Norton stays on looking for viruses?

    2) It ran great with no problems. But when I read User Reviews of it on Cnet, it appears the program also wiped out needed programs and drivers. I know when I ran it, it found maybe 276 threats and I just had it wipe those. There appears to be no ill effects. But after reading the reviews I am hesitant to use it again or install it on my other computer.

    Thoughts?

    Mel

  10. #10
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,625
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 932 Times in 853 Posts
    If an app is booting with Windows that you do not wish to, a little app called What's In Startup allows you to easily Disable or Delete these start up apps. Most are unnecessary and consume resources.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  11. #11
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I can use msconfig and see that it is in my Startup, so I can easily uncheck it. I guess my question is: Why should it be starting? Is it doing something/protecting something?

    Mel

  12. #12
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,865
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 556 Times in 504 Posts
    Read the blurb on the SAS home page: http://www.superantispyware.com/

    I ususally disable the startup item after installing it and use the manual run as a secondary spyware/malware removal tool or just uninstall it after I'm done with it.

    Jerry

  13. #13
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Frankly, after reading some horror stories regarding this software removing important stuff, I might just uninstall it.

    Mel

  14. #14
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Here's a review of SUPERAntiSpyware Free 5 from 2011: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392877,00.asp

  15. #15
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudsandskye View Post
    Here's a review of SUPERAntiSpyware Free 5 from 2011: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392877,00.asp
    Clouds:

    Well, this review is a few years old. It's kind of funny because the review says it doesn't remove much. But the reviews I read were critical in that it removes too many things!!

    Mel
    Last edited by compiler; 2013-03-22 at 15:12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •