New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Professional Sharing in a Workgroup Problem

I have 3 computers which I want to be networked.

The state each of each is like so:
    Force-Custom is a desktop running Win 7 Professional.
    Force-LaptopOne is an Asus Laptop running Win 7 Home.
    Force-LaptopTwo is an Acer Laptop running Win 7 Professional

Each has an admin account named "Force" which is passworded on the Laptops with different passwords. It is not passworded on Force-Custom as that computer isn't moved from behind a locked door on a secure network. The Laptops move around a fair bit and connect to other networks regularly.
    Force-LaptopTwo has an additional standard account called "Lilly" with no Password.
    All are set to the same workgroup.

I have shares already set up on Force-Custom, with read permissions set for Everybody.

The computers running Professional have had the settings mentioned in the following forum post, in the answer by Bubbapcguy on December 22, 2009 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-ca1aaf75dcd1/
    Force-LaptopOne has had the relevant section of the forum post from the network and sharing centre applied to it, as it lacks that facility for the other bits.

Force-Custom and Force-LaptopOne can already network and share resources no problems, without a password required.
    Force-LaptopTwo and Force-LaptopOne don't need to network, so I don't care about this pair communicating, but it'd be nice.
    It's between Force-Custom and Force-LaptopTwo where the problem lies.

On Force-LaptopTwo I can't access Force-Custom's shares while logged in as Force, but I can when logged on as Lilly. On Force-Custom I cannot access Force-LaptopTwo's shares.
    On Force-LaptopTwo, when I try and access Force-Custom while logged in as Force, a window appears asking for a username and password, with the Domain already set and unchangeable as Force-LaptopTwo. It says "Logon failure: Unknown user name or bad password."
    An equivalent window appears when i try accessing Force-LaptopTwo from Force-Custom as Force, only the domain is set as Force-Custom so I can't use the password I'd set up on Force-LaptopTwo.

It is worth noting at this point that I am a personal user, I have no domain or server. I use Win 7 professional only because I got it free on the MSDNAA as part of my university course and the only win 7 licences I have are two professional and one home.

I've tried removing the password for Force on Force-LaptopTwo and the share works, but I can't leave it like this as there's another user on the computer, and I'd really rather not have to either keep turning the password on and off or switching user accounts.

Is there anything I can do to make it so I can make that share work without adding or removing passwords from either? I'd be happy if it allowed me to enter the password for the account on Force-LaptopTwo when trying to access it from Force-Custom.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    My personal experience is that sharing is achieved the easiest when using accounts with passwords on both computers, preferably the same account with the same password on both computers.
    With no domain controller, Windows can only check user access rights using its own user list, that's why this is important. Only with a domain controller can a computer running Windows authenticate users from other Windows computers, the domain controller proving that authentication.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Even if a domain controller would make things easier, it's impossible for me as I haven't got the ability to set up a separate server. and it would be useless for the home edition laptop as that can't join domains. I could replace the desktop's OS with a copy of a windows server OS as i can get licences for them off MSDNAA but i use it for gaming, development, media and general use, so i think it would be unsuitable and overkill.
    I'd rather not put a password on my desktop as it's just an extra step each time i turn it on when there really is no need to have one due to me being the only user (that and i tend to press the switch then go off get food/go to the toilet/do paperwork while it's getting ready so when i go to use it it's already in a usable state). the laptops have passwords due to being left in an unknown environment, and because one has a second named user..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    The password doesn't need to be inserted every time you boot. You can use SysInternals AutoLogon for that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had forgotten about that kind of utility