Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Question Backing up Windows 8

How do you back up Windows 8 OS without it taking all night? I've tried a 16 GB USB, that's what it said to do, and it cancelled that. Tried using DVD's and backing it up that way, and it was going to take all night.

What else could I do?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Using which program or command? The backup under Windows 7 File Recovery in Control Panel?

(Just clarifying, as there's also File History, Recovery Image and Restore Points etc.)

16GB doesn't sound like nearly enough space for a typical Windows backup.

Microsoft recommend minimum 200GB of external hard drive space:

How much storage space do I need to back up files?

But perhaps you're creating a Recovery Drive?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-03-11 at 02:07.

Thanks
    Many of us use 3rd party Imaging apps to back up our whole HD. For example I use Acronis True Image 2013. You can check in the maintenance forum for discussions on several well known 3rd party Imaging apps. These apps back up everything.

In addition to a monthly Image I also use Win 8 File History. This built in app backs up your data. Generally, data should be backed up more often than an entire system.

I just do not think the built in Windows Imaging (Backup and Restore) has the feature set I want. In my case my trials with this built in Imaging app did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, hence I switched to a 3rd party app and have never looked back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Using which program or command? The backup under Windows 7 File Recovery in Control Panel?

(Just clarifying, as there's also File History, Recovery Image and Restore Points etc.)

16GB doesn't sound like nearly enough space for a typical Windows backup.

Microsoft recommend minimum 200GB of external hard drive space:

How much storage space do I need to back up files?

But perhaps you're creating a Recovery Drive?

Bruce
    That's what I'm trying to do, make a recovery drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Many of us use 3rd party Imaging apps to back up our whole HD. For example I use Acronis True Image 2013. You can check in the maintenance forum for discussions on several well known 3rd party Imaging apps. These apps back up everything.

In addition to a monthly Image I also use Win 8 File History. This built in app backs up your data. Generally, data should be backed up more often than an entire system.

I just do not think the built in Windows Imaging (Backup and Restore) has the feature set I want. In my case my trials with this built in Imaging app did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, hence I switched to a 3rd party app and have never looked back.
    Is that better than trying to make a recovery drive? Would I get the same result?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie Tyler View Post
    That's what I'm trying to do, make a recovery drive.
    Is that better than trying to make a recovery drive? Would I get the same result?
    An image captures your systems state at the time you created it. You can restore that image and be back to the state you were at the time you took it. This means you can always go back to a time where you know your system was working. This is really the best assurance regarding your data and will also require the least effort to get back to a working system.
    Take images periodically (I do it once a week) and you know you are always relatively safe.

A restore disk won't protect you against data loss, for example, from a disk malfunction. An image will. An image based backup strategy provides all a restore disk does (you will also get a boot disc) and much more than that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Kala (2013-03-11)

Thanks
    I believe that Imaging a system is the "Gold Standard" of backups. As Rui has stated the Image will save an exact duplicate of your system with all apps installed and all customizations intact from the moment you created it.

I go further and create a new Image each month after patch Tuesday. In this way my Image is always up to date so that restoration takes about 10 minutes.

If you choose to go back to the manufacturer recovery, then NONE of you changes will be present.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Kala (2013-03-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    An image captures your systems state at the time you created it. You can restore that image and be back to the state you were at the time you took it. This means you can always go back to a time where you know your system was working. This is really the best assurance regarding your data and will also require the least effort to get back to a working system.
    Take images periodically (I do it once a week) and you know you are always relatively safe.

A restore disk won't protect you against data loss, for example, from a disk malfunction. An image will. An image based backup strategy provides all a restore disk does (you will also get a boot disc) and much more than that.
    Does that take a long time to do? Sorry if I sound stuped, but I just got Windows 8. Went from XP to 8 so I have a lot to learn.

I believe that Imaging a system is the "Gold Standard" of backups. As Rui has stated the Image will save an exact duplicate of your system with all apps installed and all customizations intact from the moment you created it.

I go further and create a new Image each month after patch Tuesday. In this way my Image is always up to date so that restoration takes about 10 minutes.

If you choose to go back to the manufacturer recovery, then NONE of you changes will be present.
    Sounds like a back up Image is the way to go.

Thanks
    When I create an Image, I choose to boot to the Imaging app Rescue disk (Acronis True Image 2013 in my case) and create my Images from there. This takes Windows totally out of the equation because you never boot to Windows. The Image creation is dependent on the size of your HD, how many partitions you include in the Image, etc. My Images take less than 30 minutes to create. I do this once per month.

Acronis allow you to boot into Windows, then start the app and create you Image. I choose not to do this for myself. This is personal preference on my part. I believe others do boot into Windows and create their Images while continuing to work.

This does bring up another point. ALWAYS create a Rescue Boot Disk (will fit on a CD). This is the disk you will boot to in order to allow you to restore your Image, especially important when your PC will not boot.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    When I create an Image, I choose to boot to the Imaging app Rescue disk (Acronis True Image 2013 in my case) and create my Images from there. This takes Windows totally out of the equation because you never boot to Windows. The Image creation is dependent on the size of your HD, how many partitions you include in the Image, etc. My Images take less than 30 minutes to create. I do this once per month.

Acronis allow you to boot into Windows, then start the app and create you Image. I choose not to do this for myself. This is personal preference on my part. I believe others do boot into Windows and create their Images while continuing to work.

This does bring up another point. ALWAYS create a Rescue Boot Disk (will fit on a CD). This is the disk you will boot to in order to allow you to restore your Image, especially important when your PC will not boot.
    How do I get to that? It was going to take 12 DVD's. I don't have time for that.

Thanks
    Do not use DVD's. Get yourself an Ext. USB HD for this chore. In Acronis there is a section to create bootable media.

I give some basic instructions for Acronis in post #125 here. In the first screen shot you will see the link for creating bootable media.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Do not use DVD's. Get yourself an Ext. USB HD for this chore. In Acronis there is a section to create bootable media.

I give some basic instructions for Acronis in post #125 here. In the first screen shot you will see the link for creating bootable media.
    That might make it easier. Is Acronis safe and free to use? The last thing I want is a virus.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does that take a long time to do? Sorry if I sound stuped, but I just got Windows 8. Went from XP to 8 so I have a lot to learn.

Sounds like a back up Image is the way to go.
    As Medico wrote, imaging is very advantageous and if you pick a single backup strategy, imaging is definitely the way to go.
    Backup time depends on the the amount of data to backup and where you will backing up to. If you plan to buy a new external drive (and that will be the safest and fastest option in terms of time to complete a backup), getting a USB 3.0 drive (if your computer supports USB 3.0) can assure reasonably fast backup.
    To give you an idea, my 280 GB backup takes around 1 1/2 hours when done to my e-SATA external USB - and this is slower than USB 3.0. I do this once a week.

Contrary to Medico, I do my backups from within Windows. There is no reason to stop working or using the computer just because your backup is running.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That might make it easier. Is Acronis safe and free to use? The last thing I want is a virus.
    Acronis is safe, but not free.
    If you want a free app, try Macrium Reflect free. It's not as full featured as Acronis, but will do the job.

Thanks
    Acronis does have a free trial period, but is not free. You can find it by doing a Google search for about 1/2 price. Acronis gets $49.99 but I just found it for about half off with a very quick search.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast