3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help-- W7 laptops cannot access network printer

OK, I must be overlooking some simple step in the process. I currently have a desktop running XP, with a modem, router, Epson parallel printer (LPT1 port), and a Canon Pixma ip4000 USB printer, all attached to the desktop.

Now, I also have 4 laptops. They can all access and use the Epson printer. Two of the laptops run XP and they can also print on the Canon USB printer.

I used to have a W7 laptop that printed just fine on the Canon. That laptop is gone. I currently have two W7 laptops. These are my primary computers. One is a Toshiba with W7 Home and the newest one is a HP with W7 Pro. I have tried to install the Canon Printer, but Iím doing something wrong.
    Hereís what I tried. I went to Devices and Printers and chose Add a Printer.
    I specify network printer. It finds the Canon. It supposedly finds the drivers and installs the printer. But when I try and print, it says OFFLINE. The printer is not offline. In fact, if I connect it directly to the Toshiba laptop it prints just fine. I assume it will do the same with the HP.

Suggestions?

How do I install the printer so I can connect to it remotely.

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You need to download Canon's drivers to the W7 computers and install them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did do that. That's why it works when I connect the printer directly to the laptop.

But I finally did get it to work. I had to open up a new add nally woprinter. Chose Local but create a new port:

\\nameofbasecomputer\name of printer

That finally worked

Mel