Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fax tone during phone calls ? (Avanquest Phone Tools)

After successfully using BVRP Classic Phone Tools (v4.23) for phone dialling via WinXP, I'm evaluating Avanquest's v9.0 with Windows 7 (+LSI 2.0 USB modem).

The Classic Phone Tools Win7 setup settings appear to be the same as those in WinXP, but with Win7 I can hear what sounds like a fax send tone during dialled-out phone calls.

I am aware that Windows Fax & Scan is installed with Win7 and wondered whether there's a conflict ? Or perhaps not, and it's something associated with Classic Phone Tools ?

Any suggestions for a fix would be much appreciated.

Dave.
    Last edited by purdyd; 2013-03-11 at 06:47.

Thanks
    My guess is that Windows 7 thinks that it is supposed to send out a fax each time you call out. Obviously XP didn't default to that.

I'm not familiar with this particular program, but I have used lots of other fax software programs. That would be the only reason that you would hear the fax send tone when you call out.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks - that's what I first thought.

However, the Win7 Fax and Scan 'Fax Settings' (General, for LSI USB 2.0 Soft Modem) have these 2 send/receive options disabled:

- Allow the device to send faxes
    - Allow the device to receive fax calls

Dave.

Thanks
    My guess then would be that this software was written for the pre-Windows 7 world, and it has been updated/patched to work in Windows 7, and therefore has some legacy characteristics still imbedded in it. In plain English, what I am saying is that it may bypass the Win7 Fax and Scan settings.

I've seen software like that -- old software, which has been updated to work with newer operating systems than it was originally written for. Such software will work with newer OSs, but it doesn't follow all of the rules and conventions of the new OSs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My guess then would be that this software was written for the pre-Windows 7 world, and it has been updated/patched to work in Windows 7, and therefore has some legacy characteristics still imbedded in it.
    Typical for Avanquest (and Nuance, for that matter).

Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've submitted a technical support query to Softcity/Avanquest and will post again when I receive a reply.

Dave.