Thread: Dial Up

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dial Up

I have an ADSL connection which appears to be perfectly normal and worked fine in Win2k. Unfortunately my ISP is going through a bad patch and drops the line several times a day necessitating dialing up repeatedly. But in WinXP when I click the dial up icon the computer intermittently crashes and reboots going through its usual long boot up routine including scandisk. Tedious and irritating. A black DOS screen full of info briefly flashes when it crashes but too quick to read. I have tried to analyse what I am doing differently when it does crash and when it doesn't but to no avail. Any ideas?

Roger

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dial Up

You have an ADSL connection that requires you to dial up? Admittedly I've not seen a setup like that, typically there is a filter on your phone line to separate the frequencies between voice and data, and you have a DSL modem that outputs your network connection.

Regardless, since you are using XP, have you tried running the network setup wizard to see if it gets you anywhere? You could also assign yourself a static IP address and see if that helps.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dial Up

I may have found the solution. I read a tip where somebody had a similar problem in Win98 and were advised by an article in the MS Knowledge Base to turn off Power Management. So I did that and also turned off Hibernate and have had no trouble since. Quirky solution!

Roger