Lounger
    Thanks

Accelerometer gone after Windows 8 upgrade

I'm not sure if this the correct forum. I have a Dell laptop which I upgraded to windows 8. I have lost the accelerometer and cannot find how to reinstall it. Dell support sucks! Even thought the unit is still under warranty they will not even steer me to a download; they will not honor the warranty because I changed the operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I have Googled to no avail. Any thoughts? I may not need the accelerometer but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Thanks
    Is this what you are looking for: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEY...iver-A01.shtml

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I guess there must be no Windows 8 driver for the accelerometer. You can try a Windows 7 driver, if you have one or if you can find one to download at Dell's support. There should be no issues with using a Windows 7 driver, but if there is, this post may suggest some possible solutions:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/08...-in-windows-8/

Lounger
    Thanks

I think I am OK now.

The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant told me I would lose the accelerometer; I figured I would just have to reinstall it. Hah! No help from Dell. At one point in time after I installed the upgrade, I saw an item in the Control Panel which was labeled "Accelerometer." And then it disappeared. I downloaded and installed the file which Jerry pointed me to. I do not have "Accelerometer" in the Control Panel now. I have "FreeFall Data Protection." I have no idea what was there before the upgrade. FreeFall Data Protection has a Dell logo. It allows me to Enable Protection, Temporarily Disable (until next reboot), and Disable Protection. I guess I am protected now. Is there a test short of dropping the laptop? Why would there be a choice to enable the protection? Why not always have it enabled? Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Glad you got it running. I suspect the disable is there for diagnostic purposes in case of touchy sensors.

Jerry