New Lounger
    Thanks

Secure connection failures

I recently upgraded to FF 19.0.2. I have been experiencing intermittent problems connecting to my ISP since, one of the problems is secure connection failures. I receive the following message. An error occurred during a connection to idp.optusnet.com.au. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
    I'm experiencing similar problems with Thunderbird 17.0.4 the message there is An error occurred during a connection to www.mozilla.org. SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read).
    I have a broadband connection I use a Netgear R6300 router. I experience the same problem on two PC's one with a win7 32 bit OS wired connection to the router the other win8 64 bit wifi connection to router. Both have similar set up configurations. I'm able to work around the problems I wish I didn't have to. I have re-installed FF a few times to no avail. I've been using FF for years so am reluctant to try another browser. Any help would be appreciated for a retiree would be appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka -Thanks for your suggestion. Tried it without success. I have accidently found the connection problem has a consequence, Microsoft automatic updates and updates for my antivirus and malware software don't always succeed. I eventually downloaded manually with some difficulty. I've looked for other reasons other then the FF upgrade that may be the source of the problem like disabling my firewall and malware protection - again unsuccessful. I have a vintage PC, OS XP, with FF 19.0.2 installed as well a PC I use for a research project, OS LInux Mint 14, browser FF 19.0.2 installed. Both PC's are connected to the R6300 router as well. They give me no trouble the linux pc is the easiest of all four PC's to use. Give me a few days I'll report back then. Regards.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Back for my last posting. Win8 PC - decided to install FF beta thus getting rid of FF 19.0.2. Success no more problems back to normal. Win7 PC a different story a little success but still have error codes as per my first posting. Uninstalled FF including cleaning the registry of any FF traces. Checked for viruses and malware. Installed FF beta problem still evident. Another twist doesn't like Google search engine Yahoo ok. Sometimes automatically installs Antivirus (Eset) signature database mostly fails to do so have to resort to manual installs with some problems. Problems with all downloads. Once a web site is bookmarked have no problems reloading the site. My Win7 is an upgrade from Vista so don't have DVD to repair system. Doing a search this problem as originally outlined found has been around for over three years with numerous fix suggestions. It is also listed with suggestion fixes on the FF web page. Surely something could have been done to rectify the problem by now. Regards