Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New StartIsBack Version 2.0.2

It's all in the title of the post. Here's the link.

One of the listed improvements is "Improved compatibility with non-fullscreen modern apps."

And for those unfamiliar with StartIsBack,

"StartIsBack does not run any additional services or programs. It integrates into your computer smoothly. It does not require any other tools or frameworks to install and can be installed without administrative privileges. Start menu is fully localized into your language with same metrics and names Windows 7 had."
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-12 at 18:10.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2013-03-12)

Thanks
    It appears this is a 30 day trial??? Does that mean the final version will be a paid app?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It costs $3 for 2 PCs!! It's as good as free.

Thanks
    If you already own the $3/for 2PC StartIsBack, the upgrade is free. If you don't own it yet, it's still only $3 for two PC license. The 30-day free trial is fully functional.

And it's native Windows code. It just unlocks the Windows 7 Start Menu that Windows 8 locked but didn't remove.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I seem to have all the functionality of the Win 7 Start Menu with Start8. I guess I don't see a reason for me to make the change. For those that have not yet made a decision on what Start Menu add-on to add to Win 8, this could be a good alternative. For me, I feel that Start8 and Classic Shell actually give me more customization options than the original Win 7 Start Menu, so for me what I have works well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best $3 I ever spent. Took all of the frustration out of an operating system designed for a touchscreen when you don't have a touchscreen. Can't for the life of me figure why Microsoft didn't just include the old start menu as an option. StartIsBack allows you some customization. You can choose to have the old familiar menu items like control panel work like a link or like a menu listing. You can choose how many items to show in the recently used programs list. It is a tiny program that adds great value to the OS in my opinion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman144 View Post
    Best $3 I ever spent. It is a tiny program that adds great value to the OS in my opinion.
    Indeed.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Shame it's not going work on 8.1 though (as things stand at the moment).

Bruce

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the trial version of the program, but every time I click a modern app I am told it can't open because File Explorer is running in administrator mode, and that I should run File Explorer in non-administrator mode. However I can't find the path to the properties for File Explorer and would appreciate advice on this.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I installed the trial version of the program, but every time I click a modern app I am told it can't open because File Explorer is running in administrator mode, and that I should run File Explorer in non-administrator mode. However I can't find the path to the properties for File Explorer and would appreciate advice on this.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    File Explorer is running in Administrator mode if you're logged in as a member of the Administrators group. That indicates that you probably installed the trial version of StartIsBack logged in as a member of the Administrators group, and it's running at that privilege level.

You might try uninstalling StartIsBack, logoff and log back on as a normal user. Then install StartIsBack again, choosing Install for everyone, and see how that works.

I don't run as a member of the Administrators group unless I'm doing some sort of maintenance. I always run routinely as a normal user. That's how I installed StartIsBack, and I don't have the issue you've described.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post

Bruce
    But then again, neither will I (work on 8.1, that is). Windows 7 is still my OS of choice, and I don't foresee that changing unless

1. I can get Windows 8 running the same way I have Windows 7 running (I'm getting closer), or
    2. Microsoft pulls their head out and gets real.

Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    8.1? Does that imply there may be an 8.11 Workgroup for Windows?

The latest consensus from Windows Weekly was Microsoft plans on making Windows 8 work, come hell or high water.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    8.1? Does that imply there may be an 8.11 Workgroup for Windows?

The latest consensus from Windows Weekly was Microsoft plans on making Windows 8 work, come hell or high water.
    I have a copy (somewhere) of Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Now if I could just finagle drivers for this hardware...

Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I have a copy (somewhere) of Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Now if I could just finagle drivers for this hardware...
    My copy of WFW 3.11 runs well on DOS 7.1 (what you get if you strip Windows out of Win98SE) and apparently relies solely upon the BIOS to handle the hardware (which means that hardware aspects unknown at the time it was produced just get ignored). It even handles drives larger than 2 GB (though possibly not larger than 8 GB without additional modifications; large DISKS, however, aren't a problem as long as the active partition containing DOS 7.1 is at their start), aside from reporting free space as if they were 2 GB drives. A few minor modifications (including a patch to IO.SYS to keep WFW from complaining that it won't run on 7.1) are all it takes.

Edit: I realize that some people might think this is silly, and admittedly I use DOS on my systems solely to run VERY old games and WFW 3.11 not at all (it's just a curiosity and takes up very little space), but can you think of a better use for the small FAT32 partition containing bootmgr, ntldr, et al. in a multi-booting system?
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-04-06 at 17:02.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding post #10, the only User Accounts I have are mine, which is the administrator account, and the guest account, which is switched off. When I tried to create another User Account I was asked for my email address, and when I entered it I was told it is already in use for another user, which obviously is my existing administrator account, so how do I create a normal User Account?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast