Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

USB Failed, Keyboard and Mouse Would Not Work

I recently had the unfortunate experience (I mentioned it in another post or two) of my USB functionality getting whacked somehow on my XP machine. As a result, I couldn't use my mouse and keyboard AT ALL.

Fortunately I have PS/2 ports on the computer, and fortunately I have an extra PS/2 mouse and keyboard at the house, so I was able to connect them and then fix the problem.

If you don't have PS/2 ports on your computer, you may want to consider installing them, for just such occasions. Here is a card which will work in low-profile cases:

http://www.outletpc.com/xw9361.html

Even if you don't install the card, you might want to have such a card, as well as a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, handy for such occasions.

In such a situation, without PS/2, it's as if you have lost your encryption password and therefore none of your files are available. But with it, you hardly skip a beat.

Thanks
    I have been doing some research, and I have found that most, if not all, PS/2 expansion cards are actually USB-to-PS/2 converter cards. They wouldn't do any good for this scenario, because here USB has stopped working.

Still looking for that elusive true PS/2 expansion card...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I have been doing some research, and I have found that most, if not all, PS/2 expansion cards are actually USB-to-PS/2 converter cards. They wouldn't do any good for this scenario, because here USB has stopped working.

Still looking for that elusive true PS/2 expansion card...
    Think you want something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-R...to+usb+adapter
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-R...to+usb+adapter

Thanks
    Thanks. I'll check them out when I get home tonight. (Can't go to Amazon while I'm at work.)

Thanks
    Don't think this is what he is looking for. He wants to have an active PS/2 connection when the USB ports are dead. These adapters require a functioning USB port. I haven't been able to find such an animal unless its built into the motherboard.

Jerry

Thanks
    Such USB failures are uncommon. It would not be worth the effort to specifically go out of ones way
    to have a PS2 keyboard and mouse on hand unless one already has and uses their PS2 ports.

Also, such a catastrophic failure in one's USB would tend to indicate the need for a board replacement.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-03-14 at 09:26.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    USB totally failed in one of my XP computers about a week ago. Because I had PS/2 ports on the computer, and because I had a PS/2 mouse and keyboard available, I was able to fix the problem. It appeared that the USB drivers somehow got hosed. When I did a Windows update, the hardware update section had a USB driver, which I downloaded and installed. I then uninstalled a couple of "yellow" devices in Device Manager, including one hidden device. I then rebooted. The problem recurred the next day, so went through the whole thing again and this time I replaced my USB mouse with another one.

After doing all of that, there was still one yellow device (PCM?), but the problem went away and never came back.

The computer is from around 2004, so I suppose there could be a USB hardware issue. But so far, the problem hasn't returned, and the computer has had lots of use since that time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Don't think this is what he is looking for. He wants to have an active PS/2 connection when the USB ports are dead. These adapters require a functioning USB port. I haven't been able to find such an animal unless its built into the motherboard.

Jerry
    It appears that PS/2 is disappearing, or has disappeared, unless maybe you build your own PC and can find a motherboard that has PS/2 ports on it.

I wonder if somehow PS/2 violates some rule in Windows 7 or thereabouts, and therefore Microsoft has asked computer manufacturers to eliminate it.

I do believe that there is value in having a way to connect your mouse and keyboard low-level, bypassing USB and everything else, so that in a worst-case scenario (like I had last week), you can easily fix the problem.

(Of course, if I would have had a current backup, I could have restored it and fixed the problem that way.)

I have always considered PS/2 the preferred mouse/keyboard method of connection, because if you follow the rules (i.e. turn the system off before connecting the mouse and keyboard), your mouse and keyboard will ALWAYS work. But USB is not as rock solid as that, at least not yet.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-03-13 at 17:20.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Jerry
    How do they require that, Jerry? Did you check them? They can be used on keyboards and mice with USB connectors and the USB connectors, through these adapters, can be connected to PS / 2 ports. They are USB to PS/2 adapters.

USB mice and keyboards connected to PS/2 ports do not require working USB ports in the computer they are connected to.

Thanks
    I believe that Jerry meant to say "these adapters require USB functionality".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I believe that Jerry meant to say "these adapters require USB functionality".
    And how do they require USB functionality? They don't.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    And how do they require USB functionality? They don't.
    The card I linked to above, http://www.outletpc.com/xw9361.html, has the following listed in its specs:

Backward compatible to USB Specification 1.1
    Yet there's no USB port anywhere visible on the card, according to the picture they show.

Other cards include the word "USB" in the name or product description.

In short, I haven't been able to find any card which is strictly PS/2 without any indication that USB is involved in its operation or functionality.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-03-13 at 18:06.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jerry made a comment on the adapters I recommended. What have those adapters have to do with the card you linked?

Thanks
    Here is what is listed under "Advanced Features":

Compliant with Open Host Controller Interface (OHCI) Specification for USB Rev 1.0a
    Compliant with Enhance Host Controller Interface Specification for USB Rev 1.0
    Compliant with PCI Local Bus Specification 2.2
    Compliant with Universal Serial Bus (USB) Specification Revision 2.0
    Support PCI-Bus Power Management Interface Specification release 1.1
    Support High-Speed (480mbps), Full-Speed (12Mbps) and low-Speed (1.5Mbps) data transfer rate
    One external PS/2 Keyboard port, one external PS/2 Mouse port and two external/internal USB ports (Depending on version)
    Compliant with USB HID specification v1.1

Perhaps the USB functionality is separate from the PS/2 functionality, and on this card they didn't include USB ports?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Jerry made a comment on the adapters I recommended. What have those adapters have to do with the card you linked?
    I haven't been able to go to the links you listed because, unfortunately, I am still at work and can't go to amazon.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast