Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Get that rescue disk made. A USB thumb drive will do fine and is actually preferable to CD/DVD imo.

Your degree of compression will depend upon the TYPE of data you have to compress.
    Office files and such compress really well.
    JPEG photos and AVI videos do not compress well. [because they are already compressed]

Try to have data stored on another partition or drive that is independent from the operating system if possible.

Have Macrium verify the image upon creation, and then once you are done creating the image, restore the image you have just made from the bootable USB stick.
    Clint, read my follow up post. I am somewhat confident that it is correct, but it would be nice to be sure.

It still bugs me that Macrium rejects the media!

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    It's a worse compression factor, but much more "realistic" .
    Yes, with the system repair disk and the backup, you should be able to restore your entire computer to its current state. That said, you should still try to mount the VHD files as drives and browse them, just to see if you can access the files. That should provide some expectation that all will be well when you try to restore, but you won't know for sure until you do a restore.

Thanks
    Yes, that is correct. with Macrium, one can mount the image and browse the file system.
    But I still recommend restoring the image WITH the bootdisk.

As to your media disk rejection issue, who knows. Try another type of DVD disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I realized now you were using Macrium .

Thanks
    My C drive has about 42 gb of stuff written on it. When I look at the backup it has 4 files totalling about 14.5 gb. Shouldn't it be 42 gb, or is it all compressed.

Mel
    Where are you getting 4 files totaling 14.5GBs from? You should only have one single image file from a Macrium image.
    Is there a hidden recovery partition on this laptop that you may have included or missed in the image?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Where are you getting 4 files totaling 14.5GBs from? You should only have one single image file from a Macrium image.
    Is there a hidden recovery partition on this laptop that you may have included or missed in the image?
    Well, now I am really confused. I got 8 files. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Mel

Thanks
    Walk us through what you're doing. Use screenshots if needed.

Here's what I'm doing on my laptop:

Untitled.jpg

Open Macrium, go to "Backup", then select "Image local drives".
    Use the default settings in "advanced Settings". It will use "Medium" compression.
    It will create ONE image file. As you can see from the screenshot, my External drive is "E".
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to list the details

I am not sure how to insert screen shots on this forum, but I inserted them into a .doc file and I'll try and upload that.

In that file, the first image is actually the result of my backup attempt. My ext. HD is drive E. The highlighted files are what got saved on this attempt (ignore the top few files).

The second shot is my attempt to create an image via Macrium, and the third shot is when I hit NEXT. I hope it is readable.

Please advise what I am doing wrong.

Incidentally, regarding the inability to recognize my DVD media: I d/l Macrium on another computer and tried to make a rescue disk, and got the same error. Apparently it does not like my SONY DVD-R disk. Do I need a RW disk, or...what?

Mel
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Resolved the rescue media problem. It worked on a different DVD
    Still confused on why I am getting so many backed up files when it should be a single file
    Mel

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Compiler,

I don't use Macrium, but it may be that the default setting is to back up to DVD's, with a file size limited to ~4.4GB.

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Compiler,

I don't use Macrium, but it may be that the default setting is to back up to DVD's, with a file size limited to ~4.4GB.

Zig

ZIG:

THANKS! You just gave me the hint I needed. The ext. HD I'm using is a FAT32 system. Consequently, files are limited to about 4.x gigs. So, it's working fine. That's what is happening!

I wonder if I could change that to an NTFS system. (without losing what I have on there!)

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    I wonder if I could change that to an NTFS system. (without losing what I have on there!)

Mel
    You can. Just open a command prompt and type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

Thanks
    I went through my Ext HD and deleted all the included S/W, then formatted it to NTFS when I first bought it. If the method Rui has mentioned does not work, you can format the Ext HD to NTFS, then create a new Image.

For those just starting Imaging, the Image app Boot Disk will fit on a CD if you do not wish to "waste" all the unneeded space on a DVD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I am still having difficulties...perhaps.

First of all, I used the CONVERT command to convert me ext. HD to NTFS. It only took about 10 seconds. I thought I read it should take 20-30 minutes? Am I doing something wrong there? Anyway, it now says it is NTFS.

So, I deleted my prior backups as I want a single file. I then re-ran Macrium and did a new backup. I chose "Image this drive." Once again, it took a 43gig amount of data and the resulting file was 14.5 gb. Again isn't that a huge compression factor? However, on the positive side, it was a single file (which is what I wanted). Also, I have practically no picture, video, or audio files, so perhaps this resulting size is correct?

I have no clue on how to check if it is correct. I will NOT do a RESTORE!

Any more suggestions?

Mel

Thanks
    OPEN the IMAGE and explore it.

Untitled2.jpg
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast