Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks and a few more queries

Thank you for the hand-holding.

This has been quite the learning experience.

I followed your suggestion and perused the image via Windows Explorer. I didn't realize I could even access individual files with the Free Edition, but now I see how to do it. I guess you just can't specify individual files to back up, which is not a problem as I can always drag or copy/paste as needed.

Now, when I perused the image, it did match my "C" drive perfectly. I did not find the FAVORITES/Desktop/Downloads/RecentPlaces/etc. but those are just pointers, right? So I did a search and found them a few directories deep (under USERS, etc.).

Just a few more questions

I also backed up my other laptop on this same ext. HD. I was hesitant to do this, but could I have perused THAT image on THIS computer (ie: an image done for my Toshiba but now view on my HP laptop)?

Also, in addition to the one file, there is another small file called SYSTEM. Is that an extra copy of Windows or something like that?

Now, let's say I just wanted to get my computer back exactly as it was when I saved the image. I assume I choose RESTORE/BROWSE FOR AN IMAGE FILE TO RESTORE and then pick the image? Would it restore everything perfectly (theoretically, anyway)? Or do I first select the SYSTEM file and then the other larger image file?

Thanks for all your help. I THINK I am starting to understand the process.

Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, one other general question.

How do you insert a screen shot. I can press FN/Prt. Scrn and then I have it in my clipboard so I can then paste it into WORD or an email or something like that. But I don't see how to paste it into a reply.

Thanks
    Just Paste your Prt Sc into Paint. Save As in a place you can remember as either a jpg or png, then use the Image icon on the Reply Toolbar to upload the Image you just saved.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    I recently bought a new HP ProBook. It has W7 Pro. I want to back it up so that I can recover in short order in case of a major issue. I'm not totally familiar with the terminology. I assume I would want to create an image? (I confuse the term "image" with "clone"). I would like to d/l a free s-ware package.
    I keep reading about Macrium Reflect and Ease US Too. Which would be easiest to use (I would back up to an ext. HD
    Mel
    They are both very good free / paid imaging apps. I personally find Easeus-to-do slightly easier than Macrium but may have a little less options but as you need few options for image backup this is no problem.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    There are two problems I see (all too often) with 'whole drive' backups.
    (not that they are bad, but just used improperly)

One: They are done way too seldom, to really make a meaningful recovery possible.
    Because once the backup is done, you start saving new data files that will be lost if you
    have to use that backup. A year old backup is 99% worthless.

Two: People do their backup with a program that's only located on their hard drive and
    when that hard drive shoots craps (dies), the restore program is lost along with everything else. Eh?

So if you're not prepared to run your backup from a boot disk, and make backups often, like once a week,
    then forget about it, and just save your data files to a flash drive.

I back up my data Daily, to a USB3 Flash Drive and I do my Whole Drive backup from a Ghost boot disk,
    at least once a week. If it's been a busy day and I've installed some new programs, I will do a backup, right then.

At least once a year, I get a service call from someone who just lost their hard drive and they either have
    no backup at all or they have one that's many months old. In either case they have lost stuff that can
    never be replaced. (sniff)

Be safe, backup often,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-03-22)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    @compiler, you screen shot came through fine. You can also crop and highlight the picture you use in your screen shot prior to uploading it. In this manner if you wanted to just post a small portion of the whole screen, you can easily accomplish this as well. Just use your favorite tool and play with it a little.

I have to agree with DrWho. Annual Images is just not practical as a backup regime. I create a new Image once per month right after patch Tuesday. But then again, my data is on a separate partition, and I back up the data separately and much more often than my Images. The Images are a backup of the OS and installed apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    @compiler, you screen shot came through fine. You can also crop and highlight the picture you use in your screen shot prior to uploading it. In this manner if you wanted to just post a small portion of the whole screen, you can easily accomplish this as well. Just use your favorite tool and play with it a little.

I have to agree with DrWho. Annual Images is just not practical as a backup regime. I create a new Image once per month right after patch Tuesday. But then again, my data is on a separate partition, and I back up the data separately and much more often than my Images. The Images are a backup of the OS and installed apps.
    Medico:

Thanks. At least I can now upload a screenshot if desired.

I did not suggest an annual image b/u.

Actually, I intend to do an image once a quarter.

I back up my important files all the time. In fact, I have a few laptops and a desktop that has the cable modem and router attached. I have a few folders that are shared. When I utilize an important file, after I save it on my laptop I also save it on that desktop. I also have a USB flashdrive and every so often I'll just save that important folder to it.

I still wonder if the image I save would be retrievable when I suddenly need it! It looks okay. I have never actually had to so such a restore. In fact, I've never had to re-install Windows!

Mel

Thanks
    I would really suggest a monthly image. I create my Images right after patch Tuesday. In this way if something crashes, I only have a few updates or changes to repeat.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123