Thread: DDNS services

Star Lounger
    Thanks

DDNS services

I recently fitted a bird box camera and hardware and software to enable remote viewing.
    A problem occurred because my ISP runs on DNS so the IP address changes quite regularly.
    I was advised to register with a DDNS service who would monitor and keep access to the remote viewing even when the IP address changed.

On registering it became apparent that using this gave access directly to my Router and I am not to keen on that been available to one and all.
    I know that the router is password protected but realise that even this is not totally secure.

So question?
    How secure is it when using a DDNS service to remote view.

Any experience in using the services much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Scott5, have you tried port forwarding in your router? http://portforward.com/
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Port forwarding

Cheers for the response Roderunner

I am just checking out Port Forwarding on line, but last time I tried this
    I lost contact with my router and ended up having to reset it to the factory settings to restore contact.
    So any help on the settings for port forward would be helpful.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner
    Port forwarding is set up on the router which means I am able to see the camera feed.
    The problem is my ISP uses dynamic Domain Name System which means my IP address changes quite frequently.
    So when you type in the IP address for the camera if the ISP as changed the IP address, it fails to connect.
    I found an option in the program to send me a email if the ISP changes my IP address so that's a work round at the moment.
    Using a DDNS service would simply mean that I would type in a domain name and the service provider would watch for changes and redirect the request.
    I just think it's just a bit too risky regarding security.

Thanks
    Hi Scott5

Have you contacted your ISP to see if they can give you a static IP address?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni
    I have looked on their website and they only do static addresses for business users.
    So that's not an option.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Depending on where you are and what ISP you use, Browni's suggestion is the best: but it might cost a few a month extra. You will probably still need to configure port forwarding for security as noted later.

If a static IP is not available, register for a Dynamic DNS account at one of the better D-DNS providers (no-ip.com or dyn.com). Don't set up D-DNS in your router as you will likely introduce a security vulnerability there. Use a D-DNS updater client installed on a PC (running 24/7). The Updater Client detects a change in public IP and updates the entry at the DNS provider.

Once setup, then configure port forwarding in the router so visitors are only routed to the camera and not to your other network connected equipment.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott5 View Post
    Cheers for the response Roderunner

I am just checking out Port Forwarding on line, but last time I tried this
    I lost contact with my router and ended up having to reset it to the factory settings to restore contact.
    So any help on the settings for port forward would be helpful.
    The link I gave should help if your webcam has it's own IP address as in a Laptop.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dynamic DNS

You could use a dynamic DNS provider to point your dynamic IP address to a static hostname. DDNS providers are usually integrated into your router so you can have your router do auto updates of you hostname if you IP addresses changes, if you don't have integrated ddns as an option, you can use a dynamic update client to update your hostname with the new IP address. No-IP is a 100% free and hassle free dynamic dns provider. Static IPs can oftentimes be very costly per month.

After you sign up for an account, you will need to forward ports in your router that you camera uses. Let me know if you need any help!

Natalie

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moved on from this thread

Hi
    And thanks to all responding to this post regarding DDNS.

If you go to this post you will see things have moved on but still having problems.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...d=1#post897104

In a nut shell.
    Unable to create a local static IP address on the Belkin Router and it started dropping the connection frequently so.
    Changed the Router for a TalkTalk D-Link SDL2680 which allows me to set up a static IP address for my desktop very easily.
    But it's a big BUT I have been unable to get access to the desktop via the internet.
    Set port forwarding up and checked it is open using a on-line port checker.
    Also able to access the Bird box via the internet on my smart phone.

I have no need for the DDNS service because I can get the software to send me an email if the IP address from my ISP is changed.

So if you think you can help please take look at the other post.