Thanks

XP dead, seemingly a corrupt file

I have three PCs, my wife's laptop with Win 7, My desktop with Win8 and our old desktop with XP (old in that it's about 8 years old). We were having some electrical work done, (in an outside shed), and when it was switched on - bang, the power went down. While the electrician was trying to find out why (thank goodness for MCBs!), power was going up and down. After a couple of these, I switched off the desktops and external drives to ensure they weren't booting and going down. However, when the electrician found the cause (miswiring by a previous electrician - ho hum!), and fixed it I then returned to the desktops. My Win8 PC was fine (as were the external drives) but the XP machine just refused to boot. And I have no backup for it, ho hum! I was actually trying to clean it up as it was getting very slow - it was only switched on occasionally so it took ages when it was because of updates and my anti virus going bonkers (well scanning the whole disk for what seemed ages). |T|hen I was going to back it up (backups are always done just after a failure). Booting in safe mode, it stops in the list of files (mainly dlls at this point) at the same point every time. I assume one file has got corrupted in some way and this is the cause of the problem.

However, I have a memory stick with Ubuntu on it and it booted fine - also saying the disk was fine as well. I've got my wife's files off it, but is there any easy way to 'refresh' XP without starting from (8 year old) scratch? Having said that, I'm thinking of putting Linux on it (I've been trying to get my wife off it for a while, so this may be a good opportunity!!!).

Dare I ask for recommendations for which Linux here (rather than copying this to the appropriate forum)? The PC has 1Gb memory (can't add more - that's another story!).

Cheers
    Malcolm

Thanks
    The first thing I would do is run a thorough checkdisk on the XP machine with a bootable disk.
    Run the faster check disk with the "F" switch, then use the more thorough "R" switch.

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-03-13 at 11:55.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2013-03-13)

Thanks
    Thanks CLiNT, I'll give it a whirl later (after I've used Linux to get all that's needed off first). Though I'm hoping it doesn't work.....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also I've had pretty good success with a system restore after these sort of recloser electrical events, as long as the file system is NTFS, it's very poor on FAT32 systems. If you can boot to a command prompt you can start SR via command line. Or if you have a UBCD4Win CD lying around, that can be used definitively to enact as SR-like event (looks and acts just like SR but I'm told its a bit different). If you don't have one lying around it would probably take almost as long to build one as it would to just run a non-destructive install and that would have a higher chance of working.
    Command prompt restore is a nice shortcut in any event if it works and that chance is usually better than 60-40.

Thanks
    Ah well, just got round to doing the recovery. After a couple of attempts (first one couldn't find the hard disk!), it only gave me one partition - the recovery one, so it can't find XP and as this partition only has 287Mb free, it's unlikely to work. I used the CD which came with the PC - it's a Mesh one - I don't have any other CDs. Looks increasingly like Linux is the answer!

Oh and F.U.N. I can't get to a command line as it doesn't even boot into XP anyway - even in safe mode. And I have no idea what a UBCD4Win CD is - so I probably don't have one lying around!
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2013-03-18 at 15:50.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Ah well, just got round to doing the recovery. After a couple of attempts (first one couldn't find the hard disk!), it only gave me one partition - the recovery one, so it can't find XP and as this partition only has 287Mb free, it's unlikely to work. I used the CD which came with the PC - it's a Mesh one - I don't have any other CDs. Looks increasingly like Linux is the answer!

Oh and F.U.N. I can't get to a command line as it doesn't even boot into XP anyway - even in safe mode. And I have no idea what a UBCD4Win CD is - so I probably don't have one lying around!
    Sure this isn't a simple MBR corruption? You could have that fixed in 10 minutes with a Ubuntu Live CD like this.

Thanks
    FWIW, it is possible to boot any Windows installation disc and get into "Repair my computer" to run chkdsk /r on any Windows system. To go much farther than that, you would need the appropriate installation disc, but if the OS has disappeared, it could be as simple as repairable errors on the hard drive.

In your case, for example, a Windows 7 disc or a Windows 8 disc can be used to boot and get to a Command Prompt to run chkdsk /r on the problem machine.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have had success virtually all the times I tried to use this: http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/art...eres-Help-8658

It's basically a way to perform a manual system restore, which will overcome the effects of corrupt system files.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I have had success virtually all the times I tried to use this: http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/art...eres-Help-8658

It's basically a way to perform a manual system restore, which will overcome the effects of corrupt system files.
    Is it possible to read any of that article other than Page 1?

Pages 2, 3 and 4 don't seem to be there.

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I lasted less than three seconds on the site; pop-overs tell me not to bother reading a site's contents. Thank goodness the UBCD4Win site is normal and serves me at least as well for manual system restores.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Is it possible to read any of that article other than Page 1?

Pages 2, 3 and 4 don't seem to be there.

Bruce
    Yes, you can read my pdf copy of the original article:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rui
    -------
    R4