New Lounger
    Thanks

Best way to install IE10 for Windows 7 Prof (SP1)?

I have Dell Studio XPS 9100 computer with Windows 7 Prof (x64) and IE 9.

Is it better to manually download IE 10, disconnect from the Internet, and then install IE 10, or is it okay to obtain IE 10 from the Windows Update web site? My computer shows that IE 10 is available at the Windows Update web site.

Thanks for any help, Sam.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    First off, start by making an image of your OS prior to proceeding. You can avoid a faulty or corrupt install by
    restoring an image of your computer to it's previous state.

Using windows update will be fine. Close out of all other applications.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your reply, Sam

New Lounger
    Thanks

Beware: Frustrations with IE10 instal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope no one minds me posting this within this topic, it seems related to the question and might help someone avoid thhe iussues I had...

For reasons to be discussed elsewhere in these forums, I felt ie9 was showing it's age. So, when window update suggested upgrading to IE10 I said yes. Micro$oft neglected to mention a major issue in the upgrade process: -- It messed up my machine!:
    1. It reset my computer to almost factory installation! the original gateway desktop settings, wallpaper etc reverted (thankfully crapware was not re-installed nor were the majority of my programs affected)
    2. It unregistered several of my programs. Some freeware, some paidware and some "free-for-a-single-install-ware (e.g. Giveaway of the Day)
    3. It undid a buch of desktop organizing I had just done. aarrg!
    4. Adding insult to injury IE 10 didn't even fix the ie9 issues I was having with Google and Yahoo!

I had a bacukup but it was about a week old...

I was eventually able to recover most (I think) of my settings by using system restore, even though it was reported that system restore had failed and had not updated any files! I seem to be whole again, but it was touch and go there for a while. Adding insult to injury IE 10 didn't even fix the ie9 issues I was having with Google and Yahoo

Moral: Be careful updating to IE10 It seems to do more than just upgrading the browser. HAVE A (CURRENT!) BACKUP Handy

Ayone else see this???

compute Safely,

Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks

I got a Trojan with IE10

I have already posted in reply to the lead article in this week's newsletter but seeing your problem here is the gist.

IE10 installer shut down everything including Windows Explorer so that my desktop disappeared. I have tried out many browsers on this PC and my tablet; nothing is this drastic.

Fortunately, when it rebooted everything came back on including a Trojan! At least Security Essentials picked it up in the IE temporary internet files folder.

Thanks
    If you downloaded IE 10 from an approved source, then the Trojan came from somewhere else. Perhaps it was already there, but did not rear it's ugly head until your browser upgrade.

In addition to the MSE finding and eliminating the Trojan I would run a complete scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best procedure is to right click on the IE 10 update and select Hide. Wait until the bugs are out of it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I tried the IE10 for Windows 7 Release preview a couple of months ago. I did not have any of the issues mentioned by Brotman above. The only issue I had was that Trusteer appeared to be not working. As I use my pc for banking, I did not like this so I went back to IE9. I recently ungraded to the final version of IE10 and the Trusteer issue has been fixed. Some websites seem to be written for Firefox and don't work properly on IE10 but do on Firefox. The Nest.com thermostat site is an example of this. Brotman, I agree that Microsoft seems to use IE upgrades to fix other Windows issues.

Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The most serious verified problem with IE10 for Win 7 that I've heard of regards systems like laptops with switchable Intel and ATI/AMD graphics. It's just not compatible - as per Microsoft. The systems will BSOD in the OS kernel due to problems in the ATI graphics. I've encountered that, and when I reported it to MS they verified the problem, and later released a KB page on the subject.

Many laptops are affected, including ones like my HP DV7. I had to uninstall IE10 asap.

Note that I didn't see any issues on a homebuilt NVIDIA based desktop.

Thanks
    Paul, have you tried to use Compatibility View to open the couple of sites that do not work. Compatibility View does sometimes fix these issues.

Compatibility View.jpg

Compatibility ViewIcon.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy