5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft makes an about-face on Flash in IE 10

PATCH WATCH

Microsoft makes an about-face on Flash in IE 10

By Susan Bradley

Adobe's Flash is a favorite target for malware, but Microsoft is now setting IE 10 to run browser-based Flash by default. Plus: Updates for Silverlight, Visio, and OneNote and a slew of fixes for Office 2013.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/microsoft-makes-an-about-face-on-flash-in-ie-10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-03-13 at 17:32.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan:
    Last night, I took your suggestion about upgrading my Win7 (SP1, fully updated) Internet Explorer 9 to IE10. It was offered as an update by Windows Update. It was recorded as updated successfully, but IE10 did not come up. I still had IE9. I tried again. Again it was recorded as updated successfully. Again only IE9 came up. It was late, so I figured I'd determine what was happening today. Today came the shock. I turned on the system and found that the update had wiped out any recognition of my PS/2 connections. I use a PS/2 trackball and a PS/2 Microsoft Natural keyboad, so I was really in a pickle. I couldn't and still can't get the system to recognize them. I'm accessing the system now with a USB mouse and a USB keyboard. The IE10 update doesn't showup in Control Panel/Programs and Features so that I can uninstall it. I need to get rid of this thing. Do you think that restoring to an earlier system restore will do the job? The reason that I'm asking is that the POST doesn't recognize the keyboard either. I tried to boot with my Win7 Repair Disc, but even though I have the boot sequence set to the optical first, then the C: drive, the system didn't do it. Since the POST didn't recognize the keyboard, I could't select Safe Mode either. If you want to reply via email, use carlr@panix.com. That's simpler for me since I have to give back these USB thingies and can access panix with any system equipped with telnet/ssh (ssh preferred.) Thanks. I didn't panic, but came close.
    Carl

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cytrog View Post
    Susan:
    Last night, I took your suggestion about upgrading my Win7 (SP1, fully updated) Internet Explorer 9 to IE10. It was offered as an update by Windows Update. It was recorded as updated successfully, but IE10 did not come up. I still had IE9. I tried again. Again it was recorded as updated successfully. Again only IE9 came up. It was late, so I figured I'd determine what was happening today. Today came the shock. I turned on the system and found that the update had wiped out any recognition of my PS/2 connections. I use a PS/2 trackball and a PS/2 Microsoft Natural keyboad, so I was really in a pickle. I couldn't and still can't get the system to recognize them. I'm accessing the system now with a USB mouse and a USB keyboard. The IE10 update doesn't showup in Control Panel/Programs and Features so that I can uninstall it. I need to get rid of this thing. Do you think that restoring to an earlier system restore will do the job? The reason that I'm asking is that the POST doesn't recognize the keyboard either. I tried to boot with my Win7 Repair Disc, but even though I have the boot sequence set to the optical first, then the C: drive, the system didn't do it. Since the POST didn't recognize the keyboard, I could't select Safe Mode either. If you want to reply via email, use carlr@panix.com. That's simpler for me since I have to give back these USB thingies and can access panix with any system equipped with telnet/ssh (ssh preferred.) Thanks. I didn't panic, but came close.
    Carl
    Go to My Computer>>Properties (or Manage in recent Windows versions) and open the Device Manager in an Administrator Account. Find and highlight the PS/2 device under Keyboards and Mice. Right click and select Uninstall. Click on this. Unplug the PS/2 device (if it is a peripheral) and reboot. Windows should pop up from the Tray Notification Area a message that it has Found New Hardware. If not, you may need to go to the manufacturer website, download and install a driver package for the device, and try rebooting again.

The idea is to get rid of Device Manager's current drivers for the PS/2 device and to reinstall them if they are available, or to install fresh, updated copies from the Web (MS Update or the manufacturer's website).

If IE10 got stuck in mid-install, there were driver issues or other hardware incompatibilities in your system which prevented the IE10 installer from connecting with your hardware. While Microsoft has patches for the missing or older hardware features, Susan Bradley and others, including Woody Leonhard, recommend not installing IE10 on Windows 7 computers at this time. This was Susan's original (and current) recommendation in her columns at Windows Secrets. How you got the idea that she was recommending installing IE 10 on Windows 7, I don't understand.

This event illustrates why System Restore is not enough when preparing to run Windows Updates. Especially Service Packs or IE upgrades. You need to get into the habit of making System Images of your configuration, so as to be able to do a full System Rollback if something like this ever happens again.

And chances are, given this experience, it WILL happen again!
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Unplug the PS/2 device (if it is a peripheral) and reboot. Windows should pop up from the Tray Notification Area a message that it has Found New Hardware.
    While it's unplugged?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    While it's unplugged?

Bruce
    Sorry. Plug in the PS/2 device after Windows boots, unless it's a built-in piece of hardware. Yes, reboot with the device unplugged from the computer, if this is possible. The idea is to get Windows Device Manager to recognize the device as New Hardware, and maybe the driver will automatically revert.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 10 Upgrade for Windows 7 64 Destroys Aero

I updated to IE 10 on my fully patched Win 7 Pro 64 system with and nVidia GTX 260, and it completely broke Aero. I tried all the fixes that are offered on the Googling the issue, and nothing works. I finally had to unintall IE10 and KB2670838 to get Aero back.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Given these problems, I’m still not ready to give IE 10 for Win7 the all-clear."
    I didn't give IE 10 a thumbs up. I'm seeing a bit too many installation problems for my comfort level.

Thanks
    Although I didn't experience any installation problems per se, in using I.E. 10 on a Windows 7 machine as Susan pointed out unadvisable. I am using it, and have had problems. One problem is that tabs will change places for no reason at all when I click on them, and another is that with certain sites, if I forget to open in a new tab, and try to use the back button, the tab stays put, and wont change back to the previous tab.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)