Star Lounger
    Thanks

KB2775511 Hotfix Rollup has 90 hotfixes

I saw a posting from ZDNet Must-Read News today, with the following headline:

A hidden Patch Tuesday gem: A Windows 7 hotfix rollup
    Even though Microsoft supposedly is done releasing service packs for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, the company is still doing hotfix rollups.

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2775511

"This hotfix rollup contains 90 hotfixes that were released after the release of SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. These hotfixes improve the overall performance and system reliability of Windows 7 SP1-based and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computers. We recommend that you apply this hotfix rollup as part of your regular maintenance routine and build processes for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 computers."

There is also an article about all this at
    https://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepl...edirected=true

I am a big fan of the Patch Watch column, and this patch is not yet mentioned, and so I think I will hold off a bit.
    In any case, this KB2775511 does not appear in the Windows Update offerings for my machine.

I just wondered if others here have applied it and would like to comment.

Thank you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read the same article, downloaded the hotfix file, and installed it on two different machines. Time will tell if it causes any problems.

Make sure you load the correct file - depends on whether you have 32 or 64-bit Win 7.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01pa For This Useful Post:

aczer (2013-03-15)

Thanks
    From the descriptions and the two articles' titles, this Rollup affects Enterprise Edition customers only. The functions and features included in the patch are not found in Home or Pro versions of Windows 7 SP1. This is not a Service Pack for all versions of Windows 7. It is of interest primarily to those who are running Windows 7 in environments with Servers, Clients and Remote Desktops.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    No networking/Sharing of any kind here but it has cut a few seconds, ~30% to the Desktop, from my (SSD) boot time on W7 x64 Home, no side effects noted, nothing different/new noted in the System logs since it was installed.

This is not for the faint of heart or for those who don't have a working recovery solution should anything go wrong. Don't install it as part of your regular updating session, run an XPerf trace before and after installation. Treat it like a Service Pack (disable any a/v etc.). If you already suspect Windows to be flaky, find and fix those bugs first.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It was a little too new to be recommending it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    From the descriptions and the two articles' titles, this Rollup affects Enterprise Edition customers only. The functions and features included in the patch are not found in Home or Pro versions of Windows 7 SP1. This is not a Service Pack for all versions of Windows 7. It is of interest primarily to those who are running Windows 7 in environments with Servers, Clients and Remote Desktops.
    "Applies to
    •Windows 7 Service Pack 1, when used with:
    Windows 7 Enterprise
    Windows 7 Home Basic
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 7 Starter
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    •Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, when used with:
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
    Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-Based Systems
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
    Windows Web Server 2008 R2
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation"
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    If it's not Service Pack 2, it's 1.5. I made a full image of my three system partitions, then ran the update. There are two executables in the download - the update rollup and a system status checker. It does take a bit to complete, and then a fairly lengthy setup after reboot and configuration.

It did speed up my network access noticeably. My NAS is usually slow to be seen after a reboot, but it popped onto the network rather nicely. I seldom shutdown, so boot times aren't really significant to me, but I'll try a couple of reboots to see if there's anything noticeable for me.

Oh, and it's definitely not just for Enterprise only.

--edit-- No noticeable difference from BIOS screen to logon screen, but user logon is noticeably faster. And as mentioned, network discovery seems a bit more crisp, as well. No ill effects other than it brought libraries back, so I had to get rid of them again.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-26 at 21:33.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

aczer (2013-05-16),satrow (2013-03-27)