Thread: HD Life

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HD Life

Hi guys. I'm sure that this has been asked and answered many times before, but with all the new innovations in hardware, the answers may have changed by now.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Professional on a Compaq Presario with your standard mechanical 500 GB hard drive at 5400 rpm. I used to leave my computer running 24/7 and have gone through several of them usually with the HD or the motherboard failing. Now, I'm turning off the computer every night (total power down, not hibernation or sleeping).

Soooooooo..... my question is (you saw this coming, didn't you?) Is it better for long life on a HD/motherboard to leave the computer on or to turn it off every night and back on the next morning?

Thanks
    You'll get greater longevity out of a computer and it's components by not having them run continuously.
    Sleep mode is such that one does not need to power off fully. Just manually place the computer in sleep mode.

But it should also be said that the quality of those components are an important factor as well.
    I put my computer to sleep overnight and will shut down if I am going to be away from it for more than 10 hrs.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2013-03-14)

Thanks
    You will find a bunch of proponents for either case on the web. In my opinion, it doesn't really make any difference to modern PC hardware longevity whether you turn it off every night or leave it up. Your hardware will become obsolete before you experience a failure in almost all cases. I got into the habit of turning my PC off every night in the XP and prior systems because they ran better being refreshed every day. From Vista on, that is no longer the case.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2013-03-14)

Thanks
    I shut down and restart my desktop computer from time to time, to refresh Windows. But I don't turn the computer off unless I will be away for a few days or more.

I agree, everyone has their own method and their own reasons. Here are mine:

* The various parts in the computer are made of different materials. Hence, they contract and expand at different rates as the temperature changes, potentially causing movement and stress. (This effect is very small, but it does exist, in my opinion.) I therefore leave the computer on most of the time, so as to keep the temperature as constant as possible and therefore to minimize the aforementioned stress. However, if I will be gone for a few days or more, I turn off the computer and unplug it, to give it a rest, to save a little bit of electricity, and to prevent possible surges / spikes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, that's about what I figured. It just makes sense that the less time your components are actively run, the longer they should last. Also even though I'm running Windows 7, it still seems to improve performance by a hard reboot. (Probably just me - lol).

I've also noticed that even when I'm not actively using the computer, the hard drive light is flashing indicating HD activity. So, the HD is being used as long as the computer is turned on which, I'm sure, will shorten the active life.

This doesn't occur in sleep mode, so I'll be using sleep during the day and shutdown at night. Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-03-14 at 12:18.

Thanks
    The hard drive argument makes sense to me -- the more it runs, the sooner it will fail.

But if I replace the HD every five years or so, it probably won't fail due to all of the activity it has due to my leaving the PC on all the time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Just think of all the electricty saved if turn off completely every night. Not to mention less chance of anything overheating and becoming a fire hazard while asleep. But that just my opinion and that of my local fire station.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.