Thanks

Windows8 UAC issue with Admin permision to add/change/open programs

I had upgraded to Windows8Pro in November2012, and all my applications and programs and utilities became under the ownership of the Win8P Administrator account.
    Thus, when I want to open a previously installed program (e.g. Outlook) as a User (w/Admin privileges), I am prompted to provide the Admin password via the pop-up window for pw entry.
    Unfortunately, I notice that the focus is lost to the pw entry field and I must manually click in that text field for being able to enter the required credentials for Admin.
    Is this behavior of Win8P that I am noticing is peculiar to my machine/installation or are there other users that are witnessing this similar annoyance?

Sure, I could go and search problem resolution at MicroSoft sites but I'd rather ask here and be embarrassed by fellow Loungers then elsewhere >>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are using the standard Microsoft mouse settings only, you might try going into properties and under pointer options, check the Snap To box and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks
    Thanx for the input but that is not the solution to the issue I am experiencing

Thanks
    Sounds like you did the upgrade rather than the clean install. Most of us here opted for the clean install, and then reinstalled our programs. I don't experience the difficulties you're having. My programs open under a standard user account without any further ado.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I prefer not to go for 'clean' installs as the toils of reinstalling all [ALL] my programs is not a pleasure I enjoy, neither is the potential loss of data pertaining to those dearly loved programs.
    I have functional programs dating back to Win2k; thus, I have used upgrades for every release of Windows ever since and I find it rather challenging.
    Plus paying just $40 for the Win8Pro version was a temptation that could not be ignored.
    Since I am able to take "ownership" of almost all programs, this issue does not pose a severe/undue problem.
    The only two programs that burden me on a daily basis are Outlook and KeePass.
    But this 'losing focus' issue also gets invoked when new programs/utilities are first installed, hence the reason for asking if others are witnessing similar 'loss of focus' problems.
    Cheers!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    The only two programs that burden me on a daily basis are Outlook and KeePass.
    You could try an Office repair to see if it would help with Outlook's issues.

Thanks
    I paid the $40 on our PCs and did a clean install from the DVD I created as part of the install.

Most of the strange behavior we have seen reported has come from Upgrades. The vast majority worked well, but for those that did not, the problems are very strange, and very difficult if not impossible to diagnose and repair. Most often the repair took the form of the clean install. It seems the many hours of T/S was fixed by the few hours of a clean install.

All data should be backed up regularly. In my case I have moved ALL my data (OS data and non-OS data) to a separate partition so it is unaffected by a custom install with format. I am also not seeing the problem you describe, sorry. I realize custom installs seem to take longer than upgrades (my custom installs including all customizations, upgrades app installations and 3 Images created took about 5 hours on each of our PCs), but when things do not quite work, it's easy to see how wrong things can go. Plus piling one upgrade onto another upgrade can have some very unexpected results.

I hope you can find a solution, and if not, can live with these unusual happenings. I also hope the situation does not get worse over time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico,

What os data have you moved to a separate partition, if I may ask.

Rich

Thanks
    Favorites, Pictures, My Documents, etc. Everything under the User/UserName folder, plus the WLM Store Folder.

Use the approved method for this chore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted.
    Speaking of UAC issue, do you know of a procedure to enables some programmes to be "let" and not require this "Allow" when loaded to run ? This Google Earth is one, it always ask for permission and this seems redundant to me and necessitate an extra click of the rodent. Not a biggie, just slightly. JP.

Thanks
    I do not, sorry
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    It's not simple, but the procedure detailed here should work:
    http://maketecheasier.com/selectivel...ons/2010/10/06

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. Looking at it. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I looked at it and must have missed one point, it did not open Earth. I will look at it again as it looks promising. Thanks. JP.
    PS, I am not giving up, I need to close the machine down. J.