Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need the reserved 'H' partition?

Win8 64bit, Acronis True Image 2013. 1 x 250GB SSD and 1 x Seagate 2TB.

Due to stuff up by me (I restored the UEFI/BIOS to optimized defaults which affected the SSD 250GB I use as my 'C' drive). My techie, not understanding that, installed a new SSD and installed Win 8 on it. I now have a 'C' drive partitioned into 'C' and 'H' Reserved Partition. My question is: can I incorporate the information from 'H' into 'C' (I hate partitions) or am I stuck with it. When I image to an external HDD with True Image 2013 it advises strongly to image the 'H' partition as well, which I do, but when I restored only the 'C' image my machine worked perfectly, I can't understand this, if True Image suggests backing up the 'H' partition why will an image restore work perfectly without restoring the 'H' partition?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    You can't delete it without making your system unbootable.

Here is info on how you can delete it and recover from the unbootable state.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

pledden (2013-03-14)

Thanks
    Hello pledden,
    This tutorial will also help you.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Look but that tutorial is for Win 7.

Thanks
    You shouldn't have too much issue removing the partition. I would take a closer
    look at what is on that partition first. If there are boot files resident, there are ways to safely move them, or repair
    once the partition has been removed.
    The issue I'm concerned with is if your system is fully UEFI, which I don't see reflected in your partition setup.
    One usually has 3 system partitions, including the main windows OS one in a UEFI setup.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you CLiNT, In my file manager drive 'H' contents are invisible. In Disk Management the partition is 349MB with 242MB used but I cannot ascertain the contents.

Thanks
    You'll likely need a third party partitioning tool to examine the contents.
    You can also run "BCDEDIT" in an elevated command prompt.
    Take note of where the boot manager & boot loader files are located.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quite honestly the size of H is not large enough to bother with. Due to the many problems that can occur when messing around with the rserved partition it is not worth doing IMHO.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your input Clive. I agree with your premise but it unnecessarily complicates an image restore to a new or formatted drive, with one partition it is straight forward. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to to risk incorporating the reserved partition back into the 'C' partition but that is my fervent desire. Perhaps when my machine needs a format and reload I shall get a techie to load Windows as one partition, until then I shall continue with the present setup as it is running perfectly (Let sleeping dogs lie)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

You could use a third party image maker such as easeus-to-do (free) macrium reflect (free and paid) I use easeus as it a one click backup and restore option which will save & restore the reserved partition as well as the 'C' partition without having to do anything but put in the recovery disk for easeus and select which image to restore and click go.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pledden View Post
    Win8 64bit, Acronis True Image 2013. 1 x 250GB SSD and 1 x Seagate 2TB.

Due to stuff up by me (I restored the UEFI/BIOS to optimized defaults which affected the SSD 250GB I use as my 'C' drive). My techie, not understanding that, installed a new SSD and installed Win 8 on it. I now have a 'C' drive partitioned into 'C' and 'H' Reserved Partition. My question is: can I incorporate the information from 'H' into 'C' (I hate partitions) or am I stuck with it. When I image to an external HDD with True Image 2013 it advises strongly to image the 'H' partition as well, which I do, but when I restored only the 'C' image my machine worked perfectly, I can't understand this, if True Image suggests backing up the 'H' partition why will an image restore work perfectly without restoring the 'H' partition?
    Have you checked that the H partition did or did not get restored in disk management? (it may not have allocated it a drive letter as not needed). As Acronis advised you to backup the reserved partition and you did, it may have automatically restored the reserved partition for you. Or it restored the 'C' partition but did not format the existing reserved partition.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-03-21 at 07:43.
    Clive

Lounger
    Thanks
    When I restored recently with True Image I only restored the 'C' partition ( I unchecked the 'H' partition)and it all worked perfectly but that was not to a new or formatted disc. When restoring to a new or formatted disc my advice has been to restore the reserved partition first and then the 'C' partition. I wonder why True Image always advises to image the 'H' partition when it is not a needed restore, maybe when you have one copy of the reserved partition that is sufficient for any future restore?