Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Couple of more questions re. MSCONFIG and Environment Variables

Using MSCONFIG, I unchecked a few startup items that I don't need/want. Now that I'm sure that everything still works properly, I would like to remove these items from MSCONFIG (i.e., stop them from showing altogether). I tried to chase down the registry links for these items (as shown in MSCONFIG), but the links didn't actually show in the registry (using Regedit). So, where does MSCONFIG find these listings, and how can I stop them from being displayed in MSCONFIG?

Also, in XP, I was able to find/change the Environment Variables. Where can I find this capability in Win 7?

Thanks
    Try using What's In Startup to remove the items. It's very small, easy app for this chore.

WhatsInStartup.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Don't mess with the registry, seriously. There is nothing to be gained from that and the risk is big. As long as the apps are not executed during startup, that's all you need.

You will find the environment variables in Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Advanced tab, look for button at the bottom of the dialog.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are using CCleaner, MSCONFIG entries can be removed in the Tools/Startup menu. CCleaner is a nice program to have anyway.

Thanks
    ...It is difficult to beat Autoruns for this. It will let you stop them from loading and test, then go back and remove it if you want.
    Of course NEVER delete or remove a file or Registry entry unless you know what it does, which app it belongs to and that you will not need it someday.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

Medico and Idb, I have downloaded both "What's in Startup" and "CCleaner". I've used CCleaner before (but not for this purpose), but when I got my new Win 7 machine, I hadn't reloaded it yet. I'm curious to see what "What's in Startup" can do.

ruirib and Russ, Im comfortable with editing the Registry (been doing it for years), and I'm aware of all the precautions required. In this case, MSCONFIG identified the Registry keys involved (see attachment). I just couldn't find those keys with Regedit. Also, I only edit the registry if I can't find another way to accomplish what I want.

Autoruns, however, is a program that I never quite got comfortable with, and in this case, seems like overkill for what I want to do.

ruirib, thanks for the pointer to Environment Variables. Seems like it's in the same location as it was in XP, don't know why I missed it (senior moment?).
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, here's an update.

What's in Startup won't do what I want. It only shows items that were loaded at startup, but not those items disabled in MSCONFIG. I already have a nice program that does that (Startup CP).

CC will do what I want (thanks again, Idb). As I said, I was planning to install it anyway, but I wasn't aware of this function.

Great info available on this forum. Thanks, all.

Thanks
    That is true. What's in Startup only works with files that are actually loaded. You would have had to change msconfig to normal startup to allow the files to be placed into the startup folder again. The nice thing about What's In Startup (other than it's small simple interface) is that you can disable items, then delete them after checking to see if there will be any untoward results of the disable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    I tried to chase down the registry links for these items (as shown in MSCONFIG), but the links didn't actually show in the registry (using Regedit).
    LesF, since you are comfortable using Regedit, you may find that the missing entries are visible when Regedit is run as Administrator. This is especially true if you are looking for entries under the wow6432node.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    I just couldn't find those keys with Regedit. Also, I only edit the registry if I can't find another way to accomplish what I want.
    In the registry, were you expanding the Run key to look for the entries in the tree, or were you left-clicking on the Run key to reveal the values for the key itself?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JC, I am the only user of this machine, and I am the administrator, so I assume that I am running Regedit as administrator when I open it. Could there be some reason that this is not the case?

bbearen, I was left-clicking on the run key, then clicking Run to expand the key.

Thanks
    LesF, I also am the only user and administrator of my computer. But, depending on how I invoke Regedit, it may or may not run in administrator mode.

To be sure, go to C:\Windows\Regedit.exe, right click and "send to desktop" to create a shortcut, then open the properties of the shortcut on the desktop and select the "Advanced" button near the bottom. In the next window check the "Run as Administrator" box.

Now you have an administrator shortcut to Regedit which you can store in your toolbox.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, JC. I did as you suggested, but it made no difference - still couldn't find the entries. I suspect that the missing keys are added to the registry when they are selected in MSCONFIG, and removed when they are unchecked in MSCONFIG.
    Last edited by LesF; 2013-03-17 at 15:42.

Thanks
    You are correct. MSCONFIG stores the removed startup entries {somewhere}. So if you really want to remove them permanently you must enable them again from the MSCONFIG program and then use "What-in-startup" or the regedit shortcut to delete them permanently.

After that MSCONFIG will not find them again unless they get re-installed during a software update.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

What if you don't want the programs to start with windows but may need to start them manually later? If you delete them maybe you will not be able to run them manually. If you really don't require the programs why not just uninstall them?
    Seems like msconfig already does what you want by removing them from the registry.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-03-17 at 11:42.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast