Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Download Location Permissions Problem

I wanted to save a download to a particular folder but Windows said I did not have permission to save to that location, and did I want to save to my User folder instead. I accepted that and cut and pasted the download to the folder I wanted, but how do I stop this behaviour occurring again?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    What folder were you trying to download to? The normal place is the Download folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted, I download most files to my Download folder, but I want to download any type of executable file to a folder named Installers on my D drive. I can do this in Win 7 without any problem, in fact in Win 7 I can download files to any folder I choose, so why not in Win 8?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hello Ted, I download most files to my Download folder, but I want to download any type of executable file to a folder named Installers on my D drive. I can do this in Win 7 without any problem, in fact in Win 7 I can download files to any folder I choose, so why not in Win 8?
    I can download to any folder in Windows 8 (and I never download to the Download folder). Since your "Installers" folder is a created folder, was it created in an account that is a member of the Administrators group, or an account that is a member of the Standard users group? Have you checked the permissions/sharing attributes of the Installers folder?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Was the folder created in Windows 7? If so, it may have permissions set so only the Windows 7 user has access.
    If you are dual Booting, boot to windows 7,
    Open windows explorer and right click on the folder
    Click on properties and select the security tab
    Click on Edit and add Everyone
    Click on Everyone and grant full permission.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren and Jerry. The folder was created in Win 7-I have now applied "Grant Admin Full Control" to the folder in Win 7 and Win 8, and hopefully will have no further problem in this respect.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread