Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know how to paste from my screen into the Lounge so I'm copying it manually below. This is after cleaning, convert to MBR and creating partition primary.

DISKPART> format fs=ntfs

100 percent completed
    DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect.
    See the System Event Log for more information.

In the event log I see 9 error listings from 4:07:08 AM to 4:07:39 AM all from Disk with Event ID 11 and Task Category None.

I researched this and came up with possible controller error which does not make sense as the error did not occur until over 14 hours into the format job.

I may have succeeded in attaching a word .docx with a copy of my screen.

Thanks
    No attachment to your post. Can Windows Disk Management see the drive? How is it listed?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No change except letter (E assignment was removed. It's still listed as Disk 2 Basic 931.52 GB RAW Healthy (Primary Partition).
    Last edited by norm73; 2013-03-17 at 15:32. Reason: Additional information.

Thanks
    Give it a drive letter and have Windows format it. You can try a quick format this time - if you can succeed with a format, I would run chkdsk /r on it.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-17 at 16:50.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assigned a letter (E) and tried the quick format but it failed again. Chkdsk would not run.

Thanks
    You can run Diskpart on the drive again, only this time use "clean all" instead of just "clean". "Clean all" zeros each and every sector of the disk, whereas "clean" just removes the MBR and partitioning/formatting information on the disk.

Remember that you have to open the Command Prompt with "Run as administrator".

Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the type of error where if the drive were internal, I would say the SATA cable might be flaking out, misdirected to controller error. If you try diskpart again and it doesn't work, I think you'll have to separate the drive from the enclosure and try a direct SATA connection to see if the enclosure is the culprit or not. If you have one of those screwless horizontally oriented desktop rectangle LaCie's, they're pretty easy to pop out, but I wouldn't know about other formfactors.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    If you try diskpart again and it doesn't work, I think you'll have to separate the drive from the enclosure and try a direct SATA connection to see if the enclosure is the culprit or not.
    I had an eSATA drive dock flake out on me a couple of months ago. The 1TB drive came up RAW, and nothing worked. As it turned out, I had two drive docks, so I swapped out the dock, and the drive was fine. I had room in my midtower, so I just mounted the 1TB drive internally. The other dock (and drive) are still fine, and I use that as an alternate image target for my laptop.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    In Diskpart, the command "list volume" lists partitions and logical drives on all drives, and from that listing one may only select a partition or logical drive, not an entire disk, as the "select" command allows one to select only one item from that list.

The command "list disk" lists only hard disk drives, CD/DVD drives and card readers that are assigned drive letters, without regard to partitions or logical drives. From that listing one may select an entire drive for further attention.
    Thanks, noted for future reference.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norm73 View Post

I may have succeeded in attaching a word .docx with a copy of my screen.
    Hi norm73, this will help in your future Lounge postings. Make an Image and post it.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2013-03-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran DiskPart and clean all after selecting Disk 2 and got "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk"

What next?

Also, Roderunner - I ran the snipping tool and saved the Command window as "Capture.png" then selected the Image icon above, browsed to that file and selected "upload file" but it did not proceed to upload. I tried to upload the file at least 4 times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norm73 View Post
    Roderunner - I ran the snipping tool and saved the Command window as "Capture.png" then selected the Image icon above, browsed to that file and selected "upload file" but it did not proceed to upload. I tried to upload the file at least 4 times.
    Here is how to use the Snipping Tool'. Snipping Tool.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If he has been unable to format the drive it may not have a drive letter so will be harder to find.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It now shows as "Not Initialized" and as "931.52 GB Unallocated" and wants me to initialize as MBR or as GPT with MBR selected as default.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    If he has been unable to format the drive it may not have a drive letter so will be harder to find.
    Diskpart can assign and manipulate drive letters, but it uses disk numbers to identify drives, starting with Disk 0. If the BIOS can see it, Diskpart can see it.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-18 at 19:33. Reason: spelling, clarity

Unleash Windows

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast