Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norm73 View Post
    It now shows as "Not Initialized" and as "931.52 GB Unallocated" and wants me to initialize as MBR or as GPT with MBR selected as default.
    Go back through the same procedure you used before from my previous post. The only change is in the "Clean" command, using "Clean All" instead.

Use the command "convert MBR" if you want an MBR partition table.
    Next, the command "create partition primary" without further switches if you want the entire disk as a single partition. (Diskpart automatically changes focus to the newly created partition, so you don't need to use the "list" command again.)

Then, if you want NTFS formatting, use "format fs=ntfs". And again, I would recommend a full, not quick, format - this is a problem disk.

After the format is complete, you can exit diskpart and command prompt.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran "Clean All" last night so are you telling me to run it again? I'll assume not and proceed with the formatting. As the problems continued with the USB connection I have switched back to FW800 for speed.

Thanks
    I ran "Clean All" last night so are you telling me to run it again? I'll assume not and proceed with the formatting. As the problems continued with the USB connection I have switched back to FW800 for speed.
    You have assumed correctly. No need to "Clean all" again. And if after all this you still have difficulty with the drive, you might want to try what F.U.N downtown suggested:

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    This is the type of error where if the drive were internal, I would say the SATA cable might be flaking out, misdirected to controller error. If you try diskpart again and it doesn't work, I think you'll have to separate the drive from the enclosure and try a direct SATA connection to see if the enclosure is the culprit or not. If you have one of those screwless horizontally oriented desktop rectangle LaCie's, they're pretty easy to pop out, but I wouldn't know about other formfactors.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid that connecting the drive by FW800 created a malfunction as the "format fs=ntfs" did not advance from "0%" after 15 hours so I aborted the operation using "End Task", shut down my system and changed the drive connection back to USB. Disk Management showed the drive as "931.52 GB RAW" so I tried running a "Quick Format". It seems to be working as, previously, it failed in the first minute. If "Quick Format" is successful I plan to run "chkdsk (drive /R". Do you agree with that plan?

Thanks
    If "Quick Format" is successful I plan to run "chkdsk (drive /R". Do you agree with that plan?
    Yes, indeed.

Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to End Task after 2 hours and shut down. Then I rebooted and ran diskpart - list disk - select disk 2 - clean - convert MBR - create partition primary - format fs=ntfs. The drive is connected with a USB cable to a USB 2.0 port. The format is running and I'll report the result when and if it completes.

Thanks for your continued help and patience.

Norman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a problem. The format has been running for 3 hours and it still says "0 percent completed". The drive light is flickering so something is happening. Note that in my latest series of commands I ran "clean" and not "clean all". Disk Management says "formatting" but it said that during the Quick Format period that I ended after two hours.
    Last edited by norm73; 2013-03-19 at 18:12.

Thanks
    It's looking more like F.U.N. downtown may be on the right track. The FW800 connection is giving problems, the USB 2.0 is giving problems, and it may well be that the hardware interface in the enclosure may be the culprit. Do you think you can take the drive out of the enclosure and try a direct SATA connection?

Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I started "clean all" again last night and it's still running. I want to try formatting once more if "clean all" is successful.

I just turned over the drive to look for screw heads but it started a whining sound so I quickly put it back down on its base. It's still running and there's no error message so, hopefully, I caused no damage. If it comes down to opening the case my only concern is how to do it as I don't see any fasteners.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When I had to figure out how to open my LaCie (horizontal 3.5" desktop model) I Googled and found a YouTube instructional video. If it's like mine it involves inserting something that spreads the seam on the bottom in all four corners until the little catch snaps are released and the cover can be removed. I used four flat blade screwdrivers.

Oh, and be sure it's turned off before any opening attempts if it comes to that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2013-03-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren - I just got home and find that "clean all" is still running which is about 26 hours. I'll let it run overnight and initialize and partition primary about 12 hours from now unless I hear otherwise. Then I'll try formatting again. You do still advise "format fs=ntfs"? If formatting fails then I'll go on to the next phase of this operation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest the free program "gparted".

The name stands for GNU (the free license) Part ition Ed itor. It is has been around for a long time and is solid.

It runs from a bootable CD, which is easy to create from the download. It has a GUI, you use the mouse, and it takes only a few minutes. It is fast fast fast. It will also format the newly partitioned drive in seconds.

I never had a problem of any kind. Just be sure you can identify the HD you want to do.

I highly recommend SpinRite from Steve Gibson. It isn't free but is surely worth it.

Off topic but, for cloning a HD look into Clonezilla - also free under the GNU license.

Thanks
    You do still advise "format fs=ntfs"? If formatting fails then I'll go on to the next phase of this operation.
    Yes, I do.

Unleash Windows

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2013-03-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I'm starting "format fs=ntfs" now.

Thanks
    Okay, I'm starting "format fs=ntfs" now.
    I've got my fingers crossed...

Unleash Windows

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast