2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 won't install - says driver missing

Although this is related to the thread I started on February 28: Boot problem (only boots in safe mode), see thread below, it really is a new problem (hence the new thread).

After weeks of trying to get my machine to boot in Windows normal mode without success, I gave up and decided to install Windows fresh on a clean hard drive. The installation starts OK, goes past the language choice to the install menu, and a few minutes later stops with this:
    No install-driver missing.JPG which says that a CD/DVD device driver is missing.

The DVD drive is obviously working or it couldn't read the installation disc. There are no other devices connected to the computer other than the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

I used the Browse option and searched the installation disc for Windows\System32\DriverStore. I tried all the inf files, which attempted to install drivers, but none worked.

How can I find the driver it wants or get around it to install Windows?
    Last edited by joro; 2013-03-16 at 04:35. Reason: remove link

Thanks
    Where did this DVD come from?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Where did this DVD come from?
    I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking if I put in a new DVD drive, I didn't. It's the original that came with the machine and has worked fine and is still working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    I'm asking where did the Windows 7 installation DVD disc come from; not asking about the DVD drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm asking where did the Windows 7 installation DVD disc come from; not asking about the DVD drive.
    This happened with the original installation disc, so I downloaded a new installation disc as an ISO file and burned it to a DVD. Both installation discs resulted the same problem.

Thanks
    From where did you download the ISO file?

Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From where did you download the ISO file?
    From Windows7.com Forum's official Windows 7 SP1 iso-image downloads site.

Thanks
    Is the version you downloaded the exact same version as the original installation disk (home premium, ultimate, etc)?

You say it's on a clean HD. Do you mean on a formatted HD? Is so was the format done as a part of Win 7 installation, or prior to the Win 7 installation? (if done during the installation, on the screen after choosing Custom Install, you would choose Drive Options (Advanced), then highlight the partition you are installing into and choose Format from the options list)

If prior to the Win 7 installation, are you using a Full Install DVD or an Upgrade Media DVD? If the installation is done prior to the attempted installation, the system may need a full install DVD rather than an Upgrade Media. Whenever I install a fresh OS, I always format the drive (partition) as part of the installation rather than before the installation to allow Upgrade Media usage.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-03-17 at 05:35.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To answer Medico's questions:
    1. Same version
    2. Spare drive, formatted and partitioned with Seagate software before starting new install
    3. Full installation disc

This missing driver problem occurs before Windows install writes to the hard drive.
    Last edited by joro; 2013-03-17 at 15:48.