Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Windows explorer broken...

I am having a persistent problem with windows explorer. If I click on the left window, my PC goes off and starts doing *something*. It will open enough to display the contents in the right screen - providing it is on a harddrive in my system.

At that point, I can navigate the disk just using the right-hand window. If I click on the '+' next to a disk, it goes nowhere. The cursor is *constantly* 'busy' whenever it is in the left-hand window. The green line in the address field will slowly move across until the field is full. At that point, it just sits. Forever.

My cpu idle time is more than 90%, so it isn't the machine bogging down. Plus, if I select a folder in the right-hand window, it opens immediately.

For navigating my PC, this is a bit of a nuisance, but I can work around it. However, when I put a CDROM in the drive, it *never* opens. There is nothing yet in the right-hand window, and nothing ever gets there. I have a window open trying to access a CD, and it has been trying for more than 30 minutes. Yes, that is *minutes*!

I have a 6-core processor, and 16GB of RAM in this puppy, so it cannot be a general machine problem. Like I said, I am running consistently at over 90% idle time. It just seems to affect explorer.

I throw myself on the wisdom of the masses!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It may help if you said which version of Windows, otherwise we have about 12 to guess at.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess so. Or you could read my mind...

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. Updated from Home Premium about 6 months ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bloke,

Do you have any Mapped drives that are not available {e.g. data cable or power cable unplugged}. This could be causing your problem. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No. I only have one drive which isn't local, and that one actually works correctly! I have an external USB drive, but that is usually off unless I am actually doing a backup.

It is really peculiar... If I click on the folder, it opens immediately in the right-hand window. Select '+' instead, and it just doesn't work.

I have had problems with indexing the past few days, and I can't help feeling it is something to do with that. I had it clear and re-index overnight, following the recommendations given - C drive, data drive internet history and start menu. It jsut doesn't make sense that it can open non-indexed disks or folders so quickly, but not be able to 'open' them!

Oh, and I didn't say earlier, but my windows is 64 bit

Phil.

Thanks
    Hi Phil,

You say that you click on a folder in the rhs it opens immediately, have you changed the click options within explorer? Normally it's a double click.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, ever since vista came out, I have changed it to open files with a single click.

I have found out that it is *not* explorer which is doing this. I downloaded a program called Qdir or something, an explorer alternative. It acts just the same as explorer...

So, the problem is somewhere deeper.

Oh, and I am *still* getting the busy cursor in the left window from when I clicked on one of the plus signs last night!

Phil.
    Last edited by Bloke; 2013-03-17 at 09:17.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Any shell extensions?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean by that. Not knowing presumably means no, I guess.

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Any shell extensions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Some programs add extensions to Windows Explorer, so that you can right click a file or folder and access features offered by such programs.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, ok. Yes, I do have some of those. I can't tell you exactly what they are, though, because when I right-click, that's when it goes into 'busy-forever' mode...
    I have the 'force take ownership', which I used in the other thread. This problem was already there, though, by that time. It was just hidden by the problems with the indexing and anti-malware running awayI just discovered that it gets worse if I right-click an item on the start menu - the system goes into forever-busy, but it leaves the progreams list (3 coluimns of it up there. There is no process running that I can kill, and I cannot bring another window to the front. This may be ffull of typos, becuasw I am typing it nblind. zThere id jusdyt space around the edge so I can have IE get the focus. I am running a backup currentlyt, byt when that is done, I will reboot - oor probably switch off - and try to get back on again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, ok. Yes, I do have some of those. I can't tell you exactly what they are, though, because when I right-click, that's when it goes into 'busy-forever' mode...
    I have the 'force take ownership', which I used in the other thread. This problem was already there, though, by that time. It was just hidden by the problems with the indexing and anti-malware running awayI just discovered that it gets worse if I right-click an item on the start menu - the system goes into forever-busy, but it leaves the progreams list (3 coluimns of it up there. There is no process running that I can kill, and I cannot bring another window to the front. This may be ffull of typos, becuasw I am typing it nblind. zThere id jusdyt space around the edge so I can have IE get the focus. I am running a backup currentlyt, byt when that is done, I will reboot - oor probably switch off - and try to get back on again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I think you may have found the problem. Some time ago, I had installed something called "Classic Shell", which gave some nice enhancements. I figured it was worth a try, so I uninstalled that, and rebooted. So far, the system seems to be running normally. It's letting me right-click and everything!

A few times it seemed to be better when I first rebooted, only to start off again later. So, I am not holding my breath on this being cured. It does seem better, though.

I'll post again later if it starts playing silly games again!

Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yeah, those apps that change Explorer can have that kind of effect. Let's hope that was it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it's still there... Grrr... I'll have to reboot again, and see if I can see anything else that I have added.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast